Topic: error in designation list

Not sure if this should be here or in Recorder bugs

Just discovered that despite White-clawed Crayfish having WACA-Sch5_sect9.1 in its list of designations, producing a report restricted to 'WACA-Sch5_sect9.1' (taking) & 'WACA-Sch5_sect9.1 (kill/injuring)' does not return ANY crayfish records despite there being over 500 records in our copy of Recorder

Recorder version 6.26.1.285
Dictionary version 0000003T
Database version 000000AW

Craig

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

Re: error in designation list

Just done a search on the whole database restricted to 'WACA-Sch5_sect9.1' (taking) & 'WACA-Sch5_sect9.1 (kill/injuring)'  and the only species it found was water vole, there should have at least been common lizard and slow-worm!

It is worrying when we are producing reports based on these lists and they aren't correct!

Craig

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

Following up on Craig's previous issue with R6 designations. If I request records for UKBAP 2007 list the exports includes records of  Chiroptera and other genus level determinations of bats. This is surely incorrect according to the JNCC list, which list only a specific set of species as designated. Something seems to be going awry somewhere in the designations...

MARK

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

Just following up on this issue which remains unresolved and is significant for anyone relying on outputs from the R6 report wizard for designations. Further efforts to report from the Mammals dictionaries suggest there is something amiss - I try to extract Cetaceans and get the message that the taxonomic group is not suitable for expanding (see attached screenshot). No records of any cetacean species are returned.

Can anyone else replicate this?

Running R6 version: 6.26.2.286
Dictionary version: 3X

MARK

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

Sorry, screenshot attached

MARK

Post's attachments

R6_error.jpg 146.52 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

Restricting to WACA-Sch5_sect9.1 (taking) & WACA-Sch5_sect9.1 (kill/injuring) returns no records at all from our database (there should be some!)

Restricting to BAP2007 does return non-specific bat records.

The issue with non-expanding taxa* is 'known' - see https://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=6154

According to Chris's website the order Cetacea is considered 'redundant'. The slight catch is that the Infraorder Cetacea is also un-expandable, because, I assume, it's an infraorder (not one of the K P C O F G S)

(*presumably the puffer fish can be considered an expandable taxa?!)

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Oh, WACA issues perhaps related to https://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=1359 and https://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=4759

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Thanks Charlie

Glad to know it's not just my species dictionary/designations that are 'batty' :)

MARK

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

Graham French has emailed me to say he will be taking over responsibility for maintaining the JNCC checklist in the UKSI database so I hope he will have these fixed fairly soon :)

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)

Hello Craig

In 2014, the Wildlife and Countryside Act lists were updated in JNCC's Species Designation database and these changes were passed on to the UK Species Inventory. As part of this update species in WACA-Sch5_sect9.1 were combined into one overall list (animals protected from killing, injuring or taking), rather than keeping the two previous lists (WACA-Sch5_sect9.1 (animals protected from killing or injuring) and WACA-Sch5_sect9.1 (animals protected from taking) separate from one another. This explains why you are not seeing species listed in these two separated section 9.1 lists but are seeing them in the overall combined section 9.1 list.

As not all species are protected from both killing/injurying and taking within the Wildlife and Countryside Act I have regenerated the original two separated lists from the combined WACA-Sch5_sect9.1 list and will pass on these changes to Chris Raper so that they can be updated in the UK Species Inventory and then in Recorder 6 species dictionary. In this way you should then be able to restrict your report to animals either protected from killing and injuring (WACA-Sch5_sect9.1 (kill/injuring)), taking ('WACA-Sch5_sect9.1' (taking)) or both (WACA-Sch5_sect9.1).

Best wishes

Graham

Is there any news on this happening? Species are likely to have been lost by this issue already and will be until this is fixed. I've only just become aware of it myself and that is an indication of the damage such changes have. Around 8000 planning applications will have been reported on incorrectly in Somerset alone, since this post began. Or around 35,000 since the changes were made.  Does JNCC not have any responsibility for protected species any more? Somewhat alarming?

Graham please let us know when this will be fixed.

Data Manger
Somerset Environmental Records Centre

What's confusing me with this is that species do have e.g. WACA-Sch5_sect9.1 (kill/injuring) as a status, and it's visible in the Edit Taxon Details window. But doing a search using the report wizard on this designation returns zero results.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Hello Tony

The changes made to the WACA-Sch5_sect9.1 list were sent to the UK Species Inventory, around July, when they were also updated in JNCC's designation spreadsheet (http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/page-3428). As far as I am aware, the UKSI has been updated with these changes and they are available in the latest Recorder 6 species dictionary update (0000003Yto40) released a couple of weeks ago (http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/page-4615).

Best wishes

Graham

Thanks Graham, words eaten. I'll see what comes out post update.

Data Manger

Thanks for the notification Graham - I managed to miss that one for some reason.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Seems to be working for the most part now - but now water vole is missing when I restrict a report wizard search to WACA-Sch5_sect9.1 (kill/injuring) and WACA-Sch5_sect9.1 (taking). It's only showing as:

Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (Schedule 5 Section 9.4, subdivision a)
Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (Schedule 5 Section 9.4b)
Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (Schedule 5)

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

I can confirm that also. Water Vole seems to no longer have protection under Sch 5 Sect 9.1.

I too can see;
  Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (Schedule 5 Section 9.4, subdivision a)
  Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (Schedule 5 Section 9.4b)
on my output.

So something not quite right with Arvicola amphibius

Data Manger

I *think* these should be sort - Graham has just issued another update to me - could someone check this:

http://nbn-sd-dev.nhm.ac.uk/taxon.php?l … 0020546253

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)

19 (edited by Lindsay_FifeNature 26-11-2019 10:00:45)

DGERC wrote:

Following up on Craig's previous issue with R6 designations. If I request records for UKBAP 2007 list the exports includes records of  Chiroptera and other genus level determinations of bats. This is surely incorrect according to the JNCC list, which list only a specific set of species as designated. Something seems to be going awry somewhere in the designations...

MARK

Was just chatting to Mark about this issue of higher level taxa being marked as UKBAP rather than just the species that should be.  In our Fife database, Brown Long-eared Bat, Soprano Pipistrelle and Noctule Bat are correctly marked as UKBAP, but records for "Chiroptera", "Pipistrellus", "Myotis" and "Vespertilionidae" are also being marked as UKBAP, incorrectly.

Is there any chance that this could be corrected?  I'm never sure if this is a "Recorder 6 thing" or an issue that's come in from elsewhere?

Linds

Lindsay Bamforth
Fife Nature Records Centre,
Information Officer

I'm guessing this might have come from when only bat species were listed as on the WCA and thereby no bat sp. records were considered as having protection when all bats do. Someone might have thought about applying it on other lists.

Data Manger

See https://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?pid=6975#p6975 for some background on the bats issue

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

I understand the reasoning for records of bats recorded at a broader level ('Chiroptera', etc.) being flagged as protected, it just seems very odd if the same was applied to UKBAP as it's such a restricted number of bat species that are listed...

Lindsay Bamforth
Fife Nature Records Centre,
Information Officer