Topic: WACA Sch 9 Part 1 and 2 - Missing?

Leading on from my [http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=4732]

I found another problem about the Wildlife and Countryside Act: Impatiens glandulifera is on WACA Sch 9 Part 2. In the taxon dictionary is says Wildlife and Countryside Act (Schedule 9) . In Recorder it IS NOT - Reports: SxBRC Find Designations for Taxon. I cannot find any Taxa in my dataset for WACA Sch 9 Part 1 or Part 2. Well at least not the correct ones. I have found;

Greylag Goose
Goldeneye
Pintail

These by the way are BIRDS. That is NOT PLANTS. WACA Sch 9 Part 2 is Plants which may not be planted or caused to grow in the wild. Now I'm no taxonomist but I do like to believe that I know the difference between BIRDS i.e. Animals and PLANTS i.e. Not Animals. Has the Sch 9 Part 1 ever been populated correctly?

How many other species are missing their statuses? Is there a QA statement for R6?

I've checked these;
Heracleum mantegazzianum
Azolla filiculoides
Impatiens glandulifera
Cotoneaster horizontalis

The only on so far that actually has the correct status is Heracleum mantegazzianum

Unfortunately this is not the full story either as even though Heracleum mantegazzianum comes out on the SxBRC report as being in Sch 9 Part 2 it still does not come out of Recorder with that status from ufn.Get.Designations.

I'll try some other things but this has consumed so much time for something so fundamental I'm looking forward to nuisance calls. Well not really.

I think I may have to create a new designation for the real Sch 9 so I can at least report on the correct species unless you know different and then I might have to kiss you, figuratively.

Tony

Data Manger
Somerset Environmental Records Centre

Re: WACA Sch 9 Part 1 and 2 - Missing?

Hi Tony

This problem has already been spotted ... see post http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=1359

I gave up waiting for a fix and eventually created my own local entries in the TAXON_DESIGNATION table for the missing species so that I could query WACA sch9 part1 and 2 species.  If you want a copy of the records so that you can amend them and load them onto your R6 as local entries let me know and I'll email them to you.

Cheers
Andy

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
Greenspace Information for Greater London (GiGL) CIC
www.gigl.org.uk

I think this thread may answer your question (in part - the missing species...): http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=4597

A slight aside which may help track down the problem, I don't have the option to select WACA 9 as a designation when "restricting to designation" using the report wizard, even though Heracleum mantegazzianum is showing as WACA 9.

(There is a checklist of WACA 9 if thats any use.)

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Update all you documents to say 'All national and international statuses in our data are defined in our database by JNCC and no responsibility for errors can be accepted by 'XXXXX'.

Data Manger
Somerset Environmental Records Centre