Re: Fenusella nana error

I think there is an error in dealing with the sawfly Fenusella nana.

The Gateway fails to give anything for that search term other than  the basic taxonomic information.  It does however list 'Fenusella nlana (Klug, 1816) insect - hymenopteran  Messa nana'.  I am fairly sure that 'l' is a typo in the dictionary, as (apart from the odd orthography) the name is not listed in the synonymy on the leaf-miners site http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/research/projects/british-insect-mines/database/Checklist.do?pg=cl&flyId=1258.

I have not explored the R6 latest dictionary, but I assume as it uses the same dictionary the error is there too.

Murdo

Looks right in dictionary Q in the SYMPHYTA list

Fenusella nana (Klug, 1816) [Spp]

List Synonyms

Fenusa quercus Cameron, 1885 [Spp]
Phyllotoma mellita Newman, 1870 [Spp]
Scolioneura laeta Enslin, 1918 [Spp]
Tenthredo nana Klug, 1816 [Spp]

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust

This is odd - something amiss at the NBNG end, perhaps.

M.

Hello Murdo

Looking in the NHM species dictionary Fenusella nana and Fenusella nlana appear as different taxa, both being a well formed recommended taxon name with differing taxonversionkeys. As  records have been given the taxonversionkey for Fenusella nlana and not Fenusella nana then this explains why there are no records for Fenusella nana on the NBN Gateway.

Both taxon names have been given the same authority (Klug 1816), Fenusella nana being added to the species dictionary in 2008 and Fenusella nlana this year. Charles Hussey may be able to say if Fenusella nlana is a typo and both should have a recommended name of Fenusella nana. If so then these changes will be reflected in the next update of the species dictionary on the NBN Gateway

Best wishes

Graham

Thanks, Graham.  I think that is the situation, but Charles will do doubt confirm.

Murdo

In the same taxonomic area, there seems a similar problem with Metallus lanceolatus, which appears twice (search the Gateway for Metallus):

Metallus lanceolatus,(Thomson, 1870) insect - hymenopteran 
Metallus bensoni, Fenusa gei, Entodecta decolor, Blennocampa lanceolatus

and

Metallus lanceolatus (C.G. Thomson, 1870) insect - hymenopteran 
Metallus gei

Murdo

Sorry for a delay in responding. I am being diverted at the moment by conducting a detailed sweep of the Species Dictionary to uncover errors, such as you have spotted - and yes, both the Fenusella and Metallus examples are erroneous entries.

All names are being checked against European lists using a taxon-matching tool (part of  an EU-funded project that we are involved with). As soon as I have finished checking 48,000 names (only 9,500 to go) corrections will be made to the Dictionary and passed on to Recorder and Gateway Teams (and i shall get back to responding to other recent posts on the Forum).

Best wishes,

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

Thanks, Charles.

M.