Re: XML Reports

I have put 4 XML reports on my web site in zip file  www.lfield.co.uk/downloads/LCXMLReportsMarch07.zip.  They may be of use, but more importantly they demonstrate some of the techniques which make XML reports so powerful.  All should run by simply unzipping them and copy into user/reports.

Detailed Species list 1 or10km  - Run from 'Run' menu. Generates a list of records for either  1 or 10km squares (multiple selection)
This will  be more accurate than a bounding box report as its uses Grid Refs rather than Lat/Long  which is used by bounding box reports in both the wizard and XML. 
Detailed Species - Site report  = From the Run menu allows a site status to be entered and produces a summary reports for  all Locations with the selected status. When selected from the location hierarchy the report includes both the selected sites and all sub sites down the hierarchy.
Meta data report - Runs as a Quick report from a Taxon Determination entry (species name) in the Observation hierarchy. Shows the Dictionary used and the  names/ sort  order which will be used in reporting. Useful for finding problems with the Dictionary.
Location reports. Report on Locations based on a  wild card search of the Location Name entry in Survey Event and Sample and on the names of the Location attached to both Survey Events and Samples.

I also have various other reports which require the loading of new user defined functions. These include reports based on  circles of user defined radius, and  on Tetrads. The User Defined functions require some sort of Query mechanism to load and need Admin permissions on SQL server. I am interested in seeing how we can develope XML reports to meet real needs and would be pleased to have suggestions for reports (no promises about producing them though).

Mike

Mike Weideli

Re: XML Reports

Mike, many thanks! I'm away from the office for a couple of weeks now, so can't test but I'm sure others here will post their experiences.

In regards to ideas for further reports, here are a couple of ideas off the top of my head:

All records for a taxon group
Species list for a taxon group with first and last dates and no of records

All records for a recorder
Species list for a recorder

All records for one or more taxon designations (optionally within a site, site hierarchy or gridref)
Species list for one or more taxon designations (optionally within a site, site hierarchy or gridref)
I don't think XML Reports has a control for taxon designations though.

A suite of reports for generating tables suitable for import into a GIS. These reports would allow the user to select a species (or group) to report on and there would be the option of selecting what resolution render the easting and northings at (e.g. 1km, tetrad, 10km etc). Then there could be a different report that calculated co-incidence within grid squares. For example, a tetrad distribution of a taxon grouped and counted by tetrad. You could then load your distribution maps up into a free gis such as MapWindow or MapMaker Gratis.

Charles

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital