Re: Bank Vole

Whilst testing an xml query which produces output of Recommended scientific name and recommended common name (using the index_taxon_name table) for a species list, I noted that it was returning Myodes glareolus in both fields for records of Bank Vole.
Interesting as this name does not appear in the preferred (MAMMALIA) checklist except as a synonym for Clethryonymus glareolus, Myodes seems to reside in the list of additional names.
Why is this being returned as the recmmended name?

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

My view is that the way Common Names are allocated to Index Taxon Name is flawed. I had always assumed that the name used came from the preferred list or at least it was  the common name attached to the recommended name scientific name. This isn't the case and it is possible  for a common name to come from a totally different list to that of the Recommended Scientific name. In fact where there is no common name you can have a scientific name in the common name field which is not the same as the scientific name.

Before anyone is too critical,  the way it works was probably the only reasonable approach at the time.

I have come up with an alternative approach to allocating the common name which seems to get around many of the  problem and have JNCC's approval to test this with selected  users. It would mean running an SQL script which would change the Common Name table and then to rebuild Index_taxon_name. However, just it would be necessary to secure the CommonName table first so that it can be restored if neccesary.

If anyone is interested in giving the new approach a try  please let me know.

Mike

Mike Weideli

I'd be glad to give it a go, as long as we can be sure of finding the way back if necessary.

However, that wasn't the point I was making. My problem is that the preferred checklist (MAMMALIA) gives
TLIK NHMSYS0000332507
Clethrionomys glariolus = Bank Vole
While ITN gives the preferred name as Clethrionomys glariolus
But when I put the Recommended TLIK from ITN back into a second copy of the index table it gives Myodes glareolus for both latin and common name.

Just seems wrong to me

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

I have looked at this in detail.  TLI key NHMSYS0000332507 point Taxon Version Key NHMSYS0020755138 Myodes glareolus which I assume the is the current recommended name.

I would have expected the Recommended TLI Key for this to be NHMSYS0020754982 which is on the List of Additional Names, but this isn't the case and the in fact it points   NHMSYS0020769434 which is on the JNCC collation List. of Designations. In my view this shouldn't be happening. I suspect it is something within the routine which JNCC use to get the Recommended TLI Key from NameServer rather than a Dictionary problem which would be down to the NHM.

I will make the queries necessary to implement the revised approach to Common Names available via an annoucement in the next few days.Even with the problem described above it may help as it will allocate the common name as bank vole to both the TLI keys.

Mike Weideli