1 (edited by davidcope 07-06-2011 10:17:52)

Re: Public Domain Status of species dictionary.

I'm interested to know if the taxon dictionary can be used in other software applications. How much is in the public domain and how much is covered by - is copyright is the correct term? If it needs to be licensed, is that possible and if so are there any T&Cs to be found?

Does anyone know of any other sources of taxonomic databases - both UK and abroad.

I'm specifically thinking of off-line dictionaries rather than the Gateway's service (only because of network infrastructure availability issues) and things like Wikispecies.

Thanks for any suggestions/help.

Best Wishes, David.

Digital Sankhara - Crafted Software.

Is anyone at NBNT/NHM going to answer this question, I would be interested in the answer as I use NBN Keys for my online Atlases.

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

I was told in answer to a similar question eons ago:

you can distribute your software into which you incorporate the [species dictionary] lists - providing that the software acknowledges that the taxonomic element is "based upon data supplied by the NBN Species Dictionary project"

However, I was also told not to bother writing my own software as I would be just "reinventing the wheel".

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

4 (edited by stevemcbill 05-08-2011 09:13:31)

Charlie,

My response would be: - take no notice and write that software - no one person or organisation has all the answers or all the ideas.

You may know that rECOrd went ahead and wrote its own on-line data entry system (RODIS) which is now used by Cheshire (rECOrd), Merseyside (BioBank), SER (Staffordshire) and Greater Manchester LRCs.  We have also written our own Data Portal which is used by a number of Local Authorities (this facility is currently being greatly extended to allow recorders to map their  own data which is held in the rECOrd database and when completed will allow them to download their own data to their own machine - the 'ultimate' back-up facility for Cheshire's naturalists).

If you finish the software I would be greatly interested in knowing about it and possibly seeing a demo version !!

Good luck.

Steve

http://www.record-lrc.co.uk/c2.aspx?Mod … ticleID=38
http://www.staffs-ecology.org.uk/html20 … itle=Rodis
http://merseysidebiobank.org.uk/index.a … ourRecords

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

I agree with Steve, I'm in the process of writing my own capture tools and was also told in a Recorder Technical group meeting 10 years ago that no one could copyright species. They do claim ownership of the extra info on species such as description and known distribution. So as long as that is not included you should be free to use it with or without acknowledgement.

Interesting that so many people are doing the same thing and doing it themselves, probably for the same reason, control of inputs and outputs.

I have today seen another website capturing information from the public but this one does not seem to share their data unless of course you search their site. Another step backwards.

Data Manger
Somerset Environmental Records Centre

As far as I understand it, the species themselves of course cannot be copyright, but the checklists themselves are a different matter. So you may have to look into the situation further if you are using lists wholesale.

If anyone is thinking of developing their own tools online, I'd urge you to take a look at Indicia. It is designed to provide a framework on which tools can be built, and as such would give a real headstart over starting from scratch. Although it comes with a variety of ready made input forms the underlying framework can be used to quickly build any type of input or output you need. One other point - the data model is modular so can be extended with plugins if you want to support more complex data than the core allows. Plus of course, we would all benefit from the collaborative development.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

I've tried to "big up" indicia for one or two local recording projects run by other organisations, but computing peeps (particularly consultant computing peeps) sure seem to love building things from scratch. I prefer the idea of contributing to a bigger project, such as indicia, although of course as Steve says you do need some people to be trying new ideas.

I'm in the process of engaging a consultancy to build our new website, and have specified we do want an online recording facility but it must be indicia and/or RoDIS based. We don't need to invent a new type of wheel at this point, just something to get the cart moving.

-----------------
Teresa Frost | Wetland Bird Survey National Organiser | BTO
Other hat  | National Forum for Biological Recording Council
(Old hats  | NBN Board, ALERC Board, CBDC, KMBRC)

Ah, I suppose if you said to the constultant computing peep that you can build from scratch and we'll pay you for the time it takes, then I can see why!

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

I must admit I gave up on this thread, so I've only just got back to it so I'm pleased to hear people are doing their own thing with the species dictionary. When I was at BIS the dictionary was separated and used internally for our own tools, like many have done here.

I've recently been in touch with the NHM about the use of the dictionary in commercial projects (defined as selling software I've written) and the issue around any royalties or contributions.

The upshot is that the time and effort for the NHM etc to implement a system to allow independent developers to contribute back from sales would outweigh any benefits seen.

I note your comments about Lists John, and I'm pleased that you seem to confirm that which had occurred to me - that the species names themselves are ok to use. Not having Lists would be no loss for the applications I have in mind.

It would still be great to hear a definitive answer. I'm hoping Charles at the NHM will get back to me on a couple of clarifications I asked about (he has been very helpful) as I'd like to do "the right thing".

From all of the previous comments here, I'm really confident that I can press on now with some work that was on hold due to dictionary issues.

Best Wishes, David.

Digital Sankhara - Crafted Software.