Re: Problem with my Spectacles!

I'm very confused about the moths Spectacle and Dark Spectacle. As far as I can see if Spectacle is imported with it's old name Abrostola triplasia, for instance when using the Recorder 3 list for importing Recorder 3 data, as opposed to it's new name Abrostola tripartita, it comes out as Dark Spectacle as the preferred name. Dark Spectacle is now known as Abrostola triplasia (used to be Abrostola trigemina).

This looks like an error.

Graham Hawker
Thames Valley Environmental Records Centre

Dear Graham,

This really needs someone from the Recorder Team to comment.

Within the Species Dictionary, the names Spectacle and Dark Spectacle are correctly mapped (to A. tripartita and A. triplasia respectively).

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

3 (edited by MikeWeideli 28-01-2011 14:59:14)

Abrostola triplasia  (Taxon Version key  NBNSYS0000006555 )on the Recorder 3 list is  pointing via NameServer to the same name and key on the preferred list (LEPIDOPTERA Checklist of Lepidoptera Recorded from the British Isles (Second Edition; Bradley, 2000) so the common name is coming from there.

To sort this out needs a detaled understanding of what has happened to the taxonomy, so that the taxa from the older dictionaries (recorder 3.3. etc) can be correctly related to the later preferred dictionaries.

Mike

Mike Weideli

For work which is currently underway on resolving Dictionary issues it would be useful to have a detailed understanding of how this change in name came about and what now relates to what in terms of the scientific name . Can anyone explain in detail please. .

Mike Weideli