Re: A Language Query

Charles,

At the risk of stirring up a Hornet's Nest, could I please ask a question about the use of languages within the NBN and Webservices Dictionaries ??

I have noticed recently that large numbers of Welsh language Common Names have been (and are being ?) added to the Dictionary with many species having multiple such names added.  This is creating a problem when pulling species names back from webservices in that long strings of Welsh names are being shown and now require us to look at filtering them out or coming up with another form of solution.  I don't know if other English LRCs are having this 'problem' but would expect them to do so either now or in the near future.

This has lead me to wonder why Welsh has been given such prominence  when in a multi-cultural society in Britain similar cases could be made for adding many other language based names (e.g. Scottish Gaelic, Irish Gaelic, Manx Gaelic, Punjabi, Hindustani, Mandarin, etc., etc., etc.).

Can you provide any answers/clarification regarding the above ??

Many thanks.

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

Re: A Language Query

Hi Steve,

There are lots of Welsh names because CCW paid us to add them. If SNH give us a contract we could have lots of Scots Gaelic names as well.

We did have vague plans for translating fact pages on the Nature Navigator website into languages used by UK Asian communities, but this website has now been taken down.

The solution for filtering requires the LANGUAGE field to be present. This would be something for the NBN Gateway team to deal with. We shall be providing web services when the NHM Species Dictionary website is updated (later this year) and I shall ensure that LANGUAGE is one of the options. Incidentally, you will be able to read the new website in Welsh as well as English.

Regards,

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile