Re: Ash Pug - Preferred Name

Hi Charles,
I have received a comment from one of our county moth recorders informing me our Moths Count website doesn’t show an option to display a distribution map for the Ash Pug.

I’ve investigated this and it appears the current Preferred Name is incorrect (Eupithecia fraxinata Crewe, 1863 [TaxonVersionKey: NBNSYS0000005937]). This may be found in the following dictionaries: British Butterflies and Moths (Bradley and Fletcher, 1979); Passmore-Edwards Museum number; Recorder 3.3 (1998).

The correct and Preferred Name should be (Eupithecia innotata form fraxinata Crewe, 1863 [TaxonVersionKey: NHMSYS0000502603]) which is in the  LEPIDOPTERA Checklist of Lepidoptera Recorded from the British Isles (Second Edition; Bradley, 2000) dictionary and this is the version I use.

Is it possible to demote the incorrect taxa to a synonym and promote the correct taxa to the Preferred Name?

Les Evans-Hill
Senior Data Officer, National Moth Recording Scheme

Dear Les,

Thnak you for this alert.

I have re-mapped Ash Pug and Eupithecia fraxinata in the Nameserver. In due course this will make its way into Recorder and the NBN Gateway.

Best wishes,

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

Thanks Charles, no doubt there may be other similar requests as our vigilant county recorders report them.

Les Evans-Hill
Senior Data Officer, National Moth Recording Scheme