1 (edited by Matt_tullie 25-08-2010 11:07:34)

Re: Name mismatch - Onthophagus (Paleonthophagus) fracticornis

OK

Onthophagus similis records imported and matched in Beetles checklist.

Determination screen identifies Onthophagus similis as the taxon. (which is correct)

Taxon occurrence screen however shows Onthophagus (Paleonthophagus) fracticornis.

This would seem to be because the Taxon list item key has a used name that differs from its preferred name. (See below for full listing).
Either this is a mistake in the dictionaries taxon entry, or its an odd mismatch between the determination and the taxon occurrence screens.

Preferred List Used     True
Linked to preferred list     True
Recommended Taxa Used     No
TLI Key Used    NHMSYS0001710419
Preferred Key    NHMSYS0001710409
TLI Key Recommended    NHMSYS0001710409
Taxa Used in System    Onthophagus similis
Attribute Used in System    sensu auctt. non (Scriba, 1790)
Dictionary of Used Taxa      BEETLES Checklist of Beetles of the British Isles (Andrew Duff; http://www.coleopterist.org.uk)
Preferred Taxa    Onthophagus (Paleonthophagus) fracticornis
Recommended Taxa    Onthophagus (Paleonthophagus) fracticornis
Dictionary of Recommended Taxa     BEETLES Checklist of Beetles of the British Isles (Andrew Duff; http://www.coleopterist.org.uk)
TLI Key Recommended    NHMSYS0001710409

MAtt

Cumbria Biodiversity Data Centre
Tullie House Museum

According the Dictionary Onthophagus similis is a synonym of  Onthophagus (Paleonthophagus) fracticornis  If this is not the case then this is an error in the Dictionary. Recorder seems to be displaying the preferred  name from the Dictionary.

Mike

Mike Weideli

SO...

If I, during the IW process matched the imported name of similis to the preferred checklist fraticornis on the basis that its synonym was listed during the Find Taxon process (which it looks very likely I did), is it correct for the determination screen to show the imported synonym, while the taxon occurrence shows the (preferred /reccomended) name?

Is that always the behaviour?

Matt

Tullie House Museum

This appears to be the case. The preferred name from the Dictionary shows as the Taxon in the Observation hierarchy and what you entered shows in the Determination. If I had noticed this before, it hadn't registered,  but I have just tested it with several taxa in  6.14 and 6.15 and this is how it works so I suspect it has always been this way.

Mike

Mike Weideli

That is the normal way recorder has performed since I have known it. Makes perfect sense to me, but it might be one of those situations where it would be useful to have a setting in the options to display the preferred name by default or the original recorded name.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

Thanks for that consensus.

I hesitate to ask, but it has been a bit of an elephant for me...

What does the Preferred taxa represent. How/why does it differ from the Reccomended taxa?
Is this documented somewhere?

M

Tullie House Museum

Hi Matt
There is probably some confusion over terminology in this area. In the "internals"of the system at least, there is a concept of a recommended taxon and a preferred checklist, though quite often the term preferred taxon is used as a synonym of recommended taxon.
The recommended taxon is the single recommended taxon you can use when reporting. So, if you want a species list from records with mixed common names, synonyms and correct latin names, the they can all be mapped to a recommended taxon which makes it easy not to duplicate things in a summary species list, for example. Note that a recommended taxon not only defines the name, but also a checklist which it appear on (which will normally be a preferred checklist - see below).
A preferred checklist is a checklist covering a taxonomic area which is considered to be the most accurate and up to date list for that taxonomic area and is suitable for data entry. It can of course contain both the recommended names, as well as synonyms and common names.
Although the term preferred taxon might sometimes be used to mean recommended taxon, I think it could also refer in taxonomic terms to the correct latin name for something (as opposed to a synonym). This is slightly different to a recommended taxon because a recommended taxon in Recorder also defines the list to use, not just the name.

Clear as mud?

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

John,

It would certainly seem to be the use of 'Preferred' and 'Recommended' which cause the uncertainty.
Thanks for the silty solution.

MAtt

Tullie House Museum