Re: Creating a report 'manually'

I have been creating some reports by first creating sql using sql express) and testing them. Then adding the sql into an xml file.

In the reports section of recorder when you select run you get a tree of reports e.g. Report Wizard saved reports, Taxon Restricted reports etc.

I have two questions. First, can I have my own directory in this tree e.g. Garys Custom Reports and secondly do you have to exit recorder and start it again to get it to recognise a report which has been created in the recorder/user/reports directory or can you rebuild/reset the list of recognised reports from within recorder?

Thanks

Gary Pocklington

Yes you can set your own menu structure. This is done with the menupath attribute. For example menupath= "Gary\CustomReports"  will create two levels in the menu hierarchy (eg Gary then a sub menu of CustomReports. . If you are using one of the standard reports as a starting point then you should  see the menupath attribute at the top of the report within the CustomReport tag. You can just alter this using a backslash between levels in your menu structure.  This is explained in the XML Report Help System under Getting Started Guide/Basic Structure.

In answer to your second question is that Recorder must be restarted to recognise a new Report.  If a report is parsed (ie Recorder does not report an error when it opens), but subsequently fails to run you can normally alter the SQL  and then run the report again without leaving Recorder. If you alter the XML attributes then this is not likely to work.

Mike

Mike Weideli

MikeWeideli wrote:

Recorder must be restarted to recognise a new Report.

I find it enough to change the location of reports (and then back again) using the "..." button

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Thanks Mike,.thats worked succesfully. It keeps any work I do seperate from the supplied reports and makes them more easily accessable.

Cheers for now

Gary Pocklington

Charlie

Hadn't noticed that, but it will be a good shortcut.   

Thanks

Mike

Mike Weideli