Re: A plea for English/Common Names

Hi,

As a novice to recording and using RODIS both through rECOrd and Biobank I find the English/Common names of species most useful. I have not managed to get my head around Latin names and find the English/Common names easier to remember.

I am also a teacher in a primary school and run a Nature Club, hoping to develop an awareness of the local environment to children aged 7 - 9 years old. As a club we are working with Merseyside Biobank and the children are very keen to enter the species they have seen into School's RODIS and RODIS. This I feel is the age to nurture a love and understanding of the flora and fauna of our world and hopefully encourage some of these young recorders to grow into the recorders of the future. I feel that having as many species as possible with English/Common names can only help the children to remember species for future sightings and enable them to check their identifications easily.

I have, on occasion, given the children both the English and the Latin name for a plant - it is always the English name that they remember despite me 'pushing' the Latin name.

With this in mind, I am asking for  as many English/Common names as possible to be entered into the NBN dictionary.

Thanks

Susan

Dear Susan,

There are over 15,000 English names in the Species Dictionary, which covers more or less every species that has a common name. There are, of course, numerous groups which only have scientific names.

We did run a website at the Natural History Museum called "Nature Navigator" which, unfortunately, was taken down towards the end of last year. This was somewhat like the Species Dictionary but was a finding aid aimed at the general public and recognised that this audience would know very few (if any) scientific names. Importantly, Nature Navigator mapped informal names for higher groupings (crabs, mosses, worms) to the scientific equivalents. The good news is that we are currently rebuilding the Species Dictionary website and, when finished, it will incorporate a lot of the features of Nature Navigator.

Regards,

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

Charles,

There is also an issue with the 'common' names in Recorder - a number are not appropriate or completely wrong and because there is no 'preferred common name' option you can get a list of records with the same scientific name and different common names, depending on which list was used to enter the original record - this can be most confusing for novices.

As an aside, I wonder why kids are quite happy to learn, remember and use scientific names without problem for dinosaurs ?

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

ser wrote:

As an aside, I wonder why kids are quite happy to learn, remember and use scientific names without problem for dinosaurs ?

Because the scientific names are the common names :)

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

My point exactly!

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

6 (edited by RobLarge 24-08-2010 14:58:06)

Throughout the dictionary there are many examples where the common name given is also the scientific name.

I just printed a species list for a site which began with the entry

Scientific name            Common name
Festuca rubra agg.      Festuca rubra agg.

Since the purpose of having the common name there at all is to enable those not familiar with the scientific names to have some degree of understanding, it would actually be more useful if the common name was given as "a grass".

This situation is far worse in the case of less well known and taxonomically more "fluid" groups such as fungi and lichens where genera are frequently split and lumped and given ever more indigestible scientific names, many of which do not occur in any but the most recent and comprehensive field guides. All most people really need to know is that it is a fungus.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

7 (edited by stevemcbill 30-08-2010 16:32:45)

Rob,

Recorder-3 actually used to do this - as well as provide lots of information about the taxon.  I always thought this was one area where Recorder moved 'backwards' when it was upgraded to Recorder-2000/2002 and 6.

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/