Re: The Dab

The dictionary currently has an entry for Hippoglossoides platessoides (Fabricius) which is the Long Rough Dab.  However, it has an entry in the synonymy list as "Dab - NBNSYS0000174849".

Surely this is incorrect as the Dab is, or should be: Limanda limanda (Linnaeus, 1758) - NBNSYS0000176141.

Limanda limanda should also have two previous synonyms added to its synonymy listing as follows:

- Pleuronectes limanda (Linnaeus, 1758) - and
- Liopsetta limanda (Linnaeus, 1758)

Cheers and thanks.

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

Steve,

You are right. I am re-mapping Dab to Limanda limanda. I have it listed as being the common name for Hippoglossoides platessoides in the Ulster Museum and Marine Conservation Society Marine Directory.

With regards to the synonyms for Limanda limanda, I shall leave them out for the moment. Generally we only include synonyms that are provided in a recommended checklist. Admittedly, the fish lists are lacking in synonyms and it will be  large job to put them in. I am only really concerned with synonyms that people have actually recorded against - and Graham French should let me know if he is receiving records for the NBN Gateway that use names that we don't have in the Dictionary.

Best wishes,

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

Hi Charles

Thanks for that reply.

Ref. the inclusion of only those synonyms which have been recorded against - I understand that point of view well. However, it does give me a slight issue.

If Graham is receiving records from LRC's using Recorder-6 then such records using previous synonymy will not be received as Recorder will not accept records for species names not represented on the Dictionary.  Here at Cheshire we also use an on-line system (RODIS) to receive all data keyed in the office as well as all data keyed by naturalists in the County (over the Internet) and for importation of all data spreadsheets. This RODIS (rECOrd Online Data Input System) facility uses the NBN Webservices Dictionary to match and provide keys for the species names being entered. Consequently, if a recorder enters an older synonym which is not on the Webservices Dictionary no name (or key) will be returned for the record.  If the recorder does not know an alternative name that record may be abandoned and lost to the system.

As a result of this, my apologies as I understand it is a huge job and only one that can be tackled over time, but my plea would be for all synonyms to be included whether they have knowingly been recorded against or not.

Many thanks.

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

Hi

This is my first post and I am a novice to recording.

I am becoming more confident and can use keys, books and the internet to identify flora and fauna. With the limitations in my knowledge I would like to see all synonyms for species listed in the NBN dictionary. I enter my records though RODIS (with both rECOrd and Biobank). If I cannot find the species in their dictionaries as the synonym is not listed, I am then left with the problem of what to do with the record. My usual course of action is to abandon the record and there is potential for loss of interest in recording species where I cannot match them and enter them into the system.

Susan

I agree with Steve, my understanding of the original rationale behind Recorder 2000 & 6 was that records should be entered as the name they were originally given, not translated by the inputter, rather Recorder's NameServer would work out the current taxonomy - I have a similar problem entering species lists of Hymenoptera from the 1930s a high proportion of the names used then are not in Recorder 6 so I have to use the Determination Comments field to hold the original taxon name - seems to defeat the idea of having the synonyms available.

Having said that, I also agree that this is a mammoth task to add all these synonyms and some will confuse (where the same name has been used for several different species over time - the Coleoptera are bad for this!), I would be happy to help with any project to improve the comprehensiveness of synonyms

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

6 (edited by stevemcbill 17-08-2010 21:14:45)

Yes Craig I agree.  As with any huge task the only way to 'eat the mammoth' is a bite at a time !!

I think ALL the synonyms should be added (where possible and over time) and that taxonomists, museum workers, professional ecologists, LRC staff and amateur naturalists should be actively encouraged to send in synonyms (Scientific AND English) whenever they come across them or know of their existence.  I know I certainly will !!  I am sure Charles is already heartily fed-up of all the names I keep requesting !!

Cheers

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk