Re: English / Common Names Required for Marine Cephalopods

The following English / Common Names need to be added to the Dictionary  (as synonyms) for the below listed Marine Cephalopods:

English Name Required:        Current Latin Name In Dictionary:

Common Cuttlefish                             Sepia officinalis Linnaeus
Little Cuttlefish                                     Sepiola atlantica D’Orbigny
Common Squid                                     Loligo forbesii Steenstrup
Common Octopus                             Octopus vulgaris Lamarck
Curled Octopus                             Eledone cirrhosa (Lamarck)

The above list was created from:  - Collins Pocket Guide "Sea Shore of Britain & Europe" by Peter Hayward, Tony Nelson-Smith and Chris Shields - published by Harper Collins Publishers - 1996.   ISBN 0 00 219955 6.

Many thanks

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

Dear Steve,

Thank you for taking the trouble to sort out which common names are in the Dictionary and which are not. All the common names up to and including this group have been added to the Dictionary and will get to JNCC today, as I am about to post them an update. I see that you have posted names for some more groups - these will make it into a subsequent update.

By the way, if you are submitting more than a single record, it is best to send direct to me by e-mail, with names in a spreadsheet (and with common name, scientific name and authority for name in separate columns). This will make import much easier.

Regards,

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

Thanks Charles - appreciated. 

There will be more requests to come though in the meantime if you could action the remaining requests posted here on the Forum I would be obliged.

Further requests will be made via a spreadsheet file broken down into Common Name, Scientific Name, and Authority columns as you note.  There are still rather a number of Marine organism Common Names to be requested.

Can I ask, do you wish to have the Source added in as a column in the spreadsheet too ?? Not a problem if you do !!

Cheers.

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/