Re: Aphids, Scale Insects, Algae and a Tree

Dear Charles,

At risk of becoming a veritable pain - can I requestb that the following species are looked at as additions to the NBN Dictionary and thus the Recorder dictionary:-

Aphids:

Aphis acetosae acetosae
Aphis acetosae rumicivora
Aphis callunae
Aphis citricola
Aphis comari
Aphis Aphis commensalis
Aphis Aphis coronillae
Aphis craccae
Aphis epilobiaria
Aphis epilobii
Aphis etiolata
Aphis euonymi
Aphis euphorbiae
Aphis genistae
Aphis grossulariae
Aphis hederae
Aphis helianthemi
Aphis idaei
Aphis ilicis
Aphis longirostrata
Aphis loti
Aphis mammulata
Aphis mirifica
Aphis plantaginis
Aphis podagrariae
Aphis praeterita
Aphis ruborum
Aphis sambuci
Aphis sanguisorbae
Aphis sarothamnus
Aphis symphyti
Aphis ulicis
Aphis ulmariae
Aphis urticata
Aphis vacinnii
Aphis viburni
Aphis violae

I am sure there must be other Aphids from other Genera which are missing too but I haven't had a reason to look at those as yet.

Scale Insects:

Pulvinaria regalis

Algae:

Proales werneckii
Vaucheria bursata

Plants:

Podocarpus andinus
Prunus spicata
Chrysanthemum frutescens

Thanks for all your help with species and the lists.

Cheers

Steve J. McWilliam

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

Hi Steve,

Hemiptera is one group that we don't yet have a good checklist for in the Dictionary.

I shall reply to you off-list to siscuss how we might meet your requirements.

Best wishes,

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

Charles

I have uploaded a Word file (.doc) to the Files area of the Group here which lists all of the Aphid species I have been able to track as British along with their Authors and (for the few that have them) their English names. Turns out there are far more British Aphids than I would have thought - 8 pages !!

References regarding where these were obtained from are also provided.

Where a species has the nominate and sub-species represented in Britain I have listed all that are indicated as occurring in Britain.

Hope that helps (sorry but I don't have your private e-mail address on this machine and it is not shown in your Forum profile so could not send it direct).

Cheers

Steve J. McWilliam  :)

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

Steve,

OK, I have got hold of the list. I didn't know there was a file-sharing part of the Forum - you learn something every day!

Thanks a lot for all the work you have put in to locating the list an getting it into electronic form. It will have to go into a queue of lists waiting to be added to the Dictionary (I am dealing with the Symphyta list at the moment) but hopefully it should getinto the Dictionary and through to Recorder before too long.

PS you should be able top reach me by e-mail through this Forum. Or you can always use speciesdictionary@nhm.ac.uk

Regards,

Charles Hussey

Thanks Charles. Much appreciated. Glad to be of help !

Cheers and take care.

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

6 (edited by Alan Phillips 24-04-2008 17:38:02)

Have you considered contacting Rothamsted Insect Survey for info about British aphids species? I think you'll find you may double your species list..

Alan

7 (edited by stevemcbill 18-07-2009 21:23:11)

Charles & Lyn

In the new Dictionary release scheduled for the end of July 2009 you have mentioned that the new lists for Sawflies and for Galls will be included but noted that you still do not have a 'full' list for Aphidae.

Could I ask whether the Aphid list - plus a couple of other species I mentioned (see the rest of this discussion thread) - that I uploaded in 2008 will be included ?? I am hoping your answer will be 'Yes' as that at least will enable most of the commoner and widespread species to be recorded and entered into Recorder.

Cheers and thanks.

Steve          :)

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

This is a question for Charles as I don't know exactly what will be in the next version (only the lists I have been working on for JNCC).

Best Wishes,
Lynn

Dear Steve,

I am sorry to have to disappoint you on this one. Having got hold of your list, it got held in a queue whilst we dealt with a number of large checklists (and in the hope that we could source a comprehensive Homoptera list). Unfortunately, when we came to look at your list properly, we found that we needed to look up the authorities, which should include the year. This is currently in progress but I am afraid that it will miss the forthcoming Recorder update.

Kind regards,

Charles Hussey

Hi Again Charles

Can I ask how the Aphid list is going and whether it WILL be in the next Dictionary Update ??

A species I am after entering at the present is "Cryptosiphon artemisiae" which produces a gall on Mugwort.  I had wondered if it would have been added in the Galls list but cannot find it in Recorder, on the Webservices or on the NHM Dictionary Search.

Here is hoping for good news.

Many thanks

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

11 (edited by stevemcbill 11-06-2010 14:26:48)

Hi Charles,

I know this is hassle for you but this is something I do feel I need to 'push' on:

Back in April 2008 I sent you an 8 page list of Aphid (Homoptera) species with Authorities (though few had dates I know).  As I understood it, this was scheduled for work and input after the Symphyta and Gall lists though I know you have had trouble sourcing a 'complete' list of Homoptera names.

Here it is now June 2010 - over 2 years later - and I have just checked one of these Aphids (Aphis epilobii) on the NBN Gateway Taxonomy Search Web Service and the species name is NOT available.

Can I ask whether this Aphid list is going to be incorporated or whether in point of fact the addition of any Homoptera is sidelined until a 'complete' species names list can be sourced ??

Cheers and thanks.

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

12 (edited by stevemcbill 18-07-2010 13:43:15)

Way back in April 2008 the Horse Chestnut Scale Insect (Pulvinaria regalis Canard, 1968) was requested to be added to the dictionary.

This is STILL not available in either the Webservices or within Recorder-6.  Nor is it available on the NHM Onlince Dictionary.

Is there any chance it could be added soon - please ??  In fact, is there any chance of going back through the dictionary requests to make sure that all relevant species have been picked up and added ?

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk