Re: Abrostola triplasia data entry from LEPIDIPTERA dictionary

Just been entering and importing some moth records in R2002 (v2.3.7.8) and have come across an issue with the LEPIDOPTERA dictionary when entering records for Abrostola triplasia (Dark Spectacle).  If you use any import or data entry tool and use the find species option by typing in either part of the name or an abbreviation, you are presented with two options from the LEPIDOPTERA dictionary matching that scientific name. If the top one is selected  the record is entered as the synonym for Abrostola tripartita (Spectacle) and displays as Spectacle rather than Dark Spectacle in the observations hierarchy.  If you choose the second one then the record displays as Dark Spectacle in the obs hierarchy.  When importing using the import wizard, the automatic match links to the first of these.  This is very confusing for anyone importing or entering the records since their is no indication in the 'Find species' box which of these is which.  I already have some records shared from another recorder user where the synonym for Spectacle has been used rather than the Dark Spectacle as I suspect they intended. 

I've uploaded some screenshots in the files section (DGERC1-4) to explain further if I'm not making this very clear.

Selecting as shown in DGERC1 leads to entry displaying as in DGERC2
Selecting second listing as in DGERC3 leads to entry displaying as in DGERC4

Surely this is an issue for other moth recorders too, but can't find reference to this issue elsewhere.  Any thoughts?  Anyone else encountered this?  Is this situation the same in R6 or is this clearer in the newer version?

Would welcome your feedback.

MARK POLLITT
Dumfries and Galloway Environmental Resources Centre

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

Mark,

I’m not familiar with the import wizard, but can hazard a guess as to what’s happening. I’ll mention this to JNCC and hopefully they’ll be able to amend the wizard to make the options clearer.

The next bit of the posting ventures into the realms of taxonomy and is just there for interest. If you’re not interested, then look away now!

------------------------------------

Names are not the same as taxa and the same scientific name can mean different things depending upon the naming authority with which it's associated. In the Bradley 2000 checklist (used for the LEPIDOPTERA dictionary) there are two entries for the name Abrostola triplasia, each with a different authority. This occurs because the name has been used to mean different things by different people.

The first entry is for Abrostola triplasia (Linnaeus, 1758). This is the name interpreted in its correct sense and is the Dark Spectacle that you’re familiar with. The second entry is for Abrostola triplasia auctorum. The auctorum bit essentially means as interpreted by some authors (whoever they may be). In this case these authors misinterpreted the name and actually meant A. tripartita (Spectacle). Hence, A. triplasia auctorum is entered as a synonym of A. tripartita and this is the second option that you see. You need to check and select the option that is most appropriate for you needs - it may be possible to make this clearer in the wizard.

This is something that will crop up again (beetles and plants are good examples) where the same name appears in a checklist but with different naming authorities, hence meaning. It's a feature of taxonomic lists, but it may be that this level of detail isn't needed for Recorder and that some of the names can be dropped? One for Recorder users to think about I guess.

The important thing for now is that users pick the usage of the name that is appropriate to their needs.

Dear John and Mark

Just to confirm the situation would also be the same when using the Import Wizard in Recorder 6.

I'm keeping a list of all suggested improvements to the program and will add this as an entry. I can then expand this following any comments users make on whether we need this level of detail in Recorder or how they would like this area improved.

In the meantime I would say that it is probably best (if in doubt during the import) to minimise the import wizard and check the implications of each entry in the taxon dictionary.

Kind regards,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Thanks John for your reply and clarity of your response on the taxonomic issues. 

The issue, as you say, is not really a taxonomic one (perhaps wrong forum then!) but a usability one. It is simply too easy to enter the data incorrectly from the information presented to the user during the data input process at present.  The import wizard, as I metioned, picks up the Spectacle synonym Abrostola triplasia auctorum as default, which for most users currently entering data will not be the desired entry.  Similarly, even standard data entry (via a find species pop-up) is unclear to the user, since A. triplasia auctorum appears top of the list (on my version of R2002 at least) and gives no indication to the user that this is a synonym for A. tripartita from someone's previous 'misinterpretation'.  OK, they should be choosing the entry with the 'Linnaeus, 1758' authority (the synonym sentry shows no authority) but how many people will pick this up?  I suppose the process of checking data entry should mean that this is spotted but imported data is more easy to slip through the net.

Thanks Sarah for noting that this applies in R6 too and for adding it to the list of things to look at.

I would just like to emphasise that Recorder needs to be as helpful as possible in  enabling users to 'pick the usage of the name that is appropriate to their needs' as John suggests.  At present it doesn't make it particularly easy in such circumstances for users to select the current or most widely used interpretations or enable users to use these by default.

One further finding - on my version of R2002 at least, the Recorder species account in the taxon browser for Dark Spectacle begins: 'The Spectacle is well distributed....' just to add to the confusion!

MARK POLLITT
DGERC

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)