Re: Tracheal Mites in Honey Bee Colonies

The tracheal (Acarine) mite Acarapis woodi (Rennie, 1921) infects Honey Bees and can be instrumental in wiping out colonies of bees which can have a dramatic impact on the industry.

Sadly, this species is NOT in the current NBN/Recorder dictionaries.  Could I request that it is added asap so that these pests can be recorded ??

Many thanks.

Steve

Phylum:             Arthropoda
Subphylum:     Chelicerata
Class:             Arachnida
Subclass:     Acari
Superorder:     Acariformes
Order:             Prostigmata
Suborder:     Eleutherengona
(unranked):     Heterostigmata
Superfamily:     Tarsonemoidea
Family:             Tarsonemidae
Genus:             Acarapis
Species:     Acarapis woodi (Rennie, 1921)

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

Dear Steve,

Acarapis woodi (Rennie, 1921) is already in the Species Dictionary - entered on 11/06/2007.

The list in the Dictionary to find it is "Fauna Europaea checklist of Prostigmata (Acari) of Britain and Northern Ireland" and its Taxon Version Key is NHMSYS0020190393.

Regards,

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

3 (edited by stevemcbill 20-04-2010 21:53:54)

Charles,

Many thanks for that - BUT - if I do a search for Acarapis woodi on the Gateway it returns a message saying "No species matching your search term, Acarapis woodi were found.".

If this species was entered into the Dictionaries in 2007 then I would have expected it to be available on the Gateway by now (and in Recorder-6) and following the recent Gateway changes that it should return the name even if no records existed for the species on the Gateway.  Am I incorrect in my assumptions ??

Cheers

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/