Re: Joy and dbo.LCReturnVagueDateShort

Just unravelling the reporting of vague dates - not for the first time I should add, but this time I'm determined to CRUSH the issue out of existence.

Any road, using dbo.LCReturnVagueDateShort (see - http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=305) seems to be lovely, except when vague_date_type = 'M'

In this instance, the value returns NULL. Which is odd, considering all other VDTypes return what would seem to be appropriate values, even the seasons!

Ive checked the Sample Keys and they seem to exist as months only in recorder which is fine.

Can anyone confirm this behaviour and/or solve the mystery?

select dbo.LCReturnVagueDateShort(sample.vague_date_start,sample.vague_date_end,sample.vague_date_type) as Recorder_date
from sample
where sample.vague_date_type = 'M'

I'm SO close to joy!

M

Cumbria Biodiversity Data Centre
Tullie House Museum

2 (edited by RobLarge 24-02-2010 11:33:38)

Matt, there is a clause missing within the code of dbo.LCReturnVagueDateShort so it doesn't handle the month only type 'M'. I don't know why this is, or whether it matters if you put the clause back in, but to be on the safe side, if you edit this function you should probably save it under a different name.

Anyway if you can open the code up in Managment Studio, or whatever you have,  and look near the bottom for this bit.

set  @RP1 = case @VD
                     when 'D' then       @RDS1 + '/' + @RMS1 + '/' + str(@RY1,4,0)
                     when 'DD' then     @RDS1 + '/' + @RMS1 + '/' + str(@RY1,4,0) +  '- ' + @RDS2 + '/' + @RMS2 + '/' + str(@RY2,4,0)
                     when 'O' then       @MM1 + ' ' + str(@RY1,4,0)
             when 'OO' then     @MM1 + ' ' + str(@RY1,4,0) + ' - ' + @MM2 + ' ' + str(@RY2,4,0)
             when 'Y' then        str(@RY1,4,0)
             when 'YY' then       str(@RY1,4,0) +  ' - ' +  str(@RY2,4,0)
             when '-Y' then         ' - '  +      str(@RY2,4,0)
             when 'Y-' then          str(@RY1,4,0) + '  -  '
             when 'C' then str(@CC1,2,0) + 'c'
                 when 'CC' then str(@CC1,2,0) + 'c - ' + str(@CC2,2,0) +'c'
                 when '-C' then ' - ' + str(@CC2,2,0) + 'c'
                 when 'C-' then str(@CC2,2,0) + 'c  -  '
                 when 'U' then     'Unknown'   

when 'M' then @MM1

end

The line in bold at the bottom is the one you need to add to get a result out for month only.

Hope this brings you much joy!

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

Get that JOY chilled and READY to pop!

Rob thats great, thank you.

M

Tullie House Museum

Matt, I'd love to know, what, in your view , is the value of the M vague date type (or S for that matter)?

We have a few samples in our dataset with this type of date, but to me they just feel like clutter.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

Thanks for spotting this. My mistake in the original code. I suspect it will bo OK to fix the exiting routine as an updated version should be in the next relesae of Recorder 6. M isn't used in many databases, which is why I suspect it hasn't come to light before.  I think all the possibilities are covered now.

Mike Weideli

Apart from S of course

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

I tested S and its seems to work ?

Mike Weideli

Fair enough Mike, I didn't test it, I was just looking at that code excerpt above and it doesn't seem to have a "When 'S'" clause.

Those extremely vague date types M and S seem rather pointless to me anyway, I wouldn't be sorry if they were unused in  our dataset, unfortunately that isn't the case.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

Rob,

M and S are indeed fairly useless, BUT we have them in our database and hence they have value.
Until such time as I can go back and unravel them, i cant be certain whether they can be pinned down to a better class of date or not.

As a lot of our data has been input over many years in recorder3, and may relate to Museum specimens, personal collections and historical accounts, Season or Month can be the best and most truthful entry you can provide (until an unknown future time when more information comes to light!). 

So, while I agree that new data should avoid these classes if at all possible, historical data holdings may not behave in that way!

MAtt

Tullie House Museum

Agreed, if grudgingly!

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

11 (edited by johnvanbreda 05-03-2010 15:37:57)

Consider the poor museum curator with an old label that just says May followed by a splodge!

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Oh I do John, there but for the grace and all...

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

We give 'splodges' a special category.

M

Tullie House Museum