Re: Common Names changed in Rec6

We have just been reporting on the birds on some of our sites and had trouble finding in the results some pretty common birds. The reason was in Recorder 6 now their normal common names have become synonyms and strange common names have replaced them as preferred. Example:

Magpie (Pica pica) is now Black-billed Magpie. I personally and others here have never heard of this one before.
Cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo) is now Great Cormorant.
Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) is now Common Snipe
Curlew (Numenius arquata) is now Eurasian Curlew
Swallow (Hirundo rustica) is now Barn Swallow. Again never heard of this.
Blackbird (Turdus merula) is now Common Blackbird
Chiffchaff (Phylloscopus collybita) is now Common Chiffchaff
Woodpigeon (Columba palumbus) is now Common Wood Pigeon
Jackdaw (Corvus monedula) is now Eurasian Jackdaw
Robin (Erithacus rubecula) is now European Robin

Lots of other Common and Eurasian somethings!!!

Is there any way we can have our normal common names back please?

Brian

Brian Miller
(Conservation Officer (Buckinghamshire), BBOWT)

As mentioned in some other posts, I'm keeping track of common name errors. There's a wee Excel file I've just uploaded that contains some of Brian's together with a few more.

Hi Brian

I have huge sympathy with your comments about the new British bird names, but the world moves on. My own view was that the scientific names meant that there could be no confusion over which species a person was referring to (and this worked very well when I have been working with Italian bird ringers both here and in Italy, and with others in Senegal). However, it seems that the users of the English language spanning the globe wanted to have names that meant that each species had a separate, specific, English name - to differentiate, for example, Eurasian Robin from American Robin. I hate the changes but have had to accept that the names are here. Look through the latest BOU checklist and you will see many more examples of name changes to birds we know so well by simple names.

For me the problem is - when I eventually move on to R6 and import data with current English species names, will it be an easy process to transfer existing data to have the new names (that I need for reports, etc)?

Over the years, the new species names will appear in field guides in the shops. British Birds uses the new names and has done for a couple of years. We can't even blame the EU for this one - it is English imperialism (or is it American....?). Anyway, the names are here and we will have to get used to them, even if it takes some of us longer than others.

All the best, Ian   :(

Hi Brian

Sorry, I meant to say 'European Robin' but try Eurasion Spoonbill, Eurasian Hobby, etc

Cheers, Ian

Hi Ian,

Hmm, interesting. Following on from your email I had a look at the Collins Bird Guide (2001) and indeed that had started to use these new names by putting the European or Common etc in brackets before the simple common name.

I fully agree with what you say regarding communications with other (non-English) countries. Whenever you want to say about a species they will invariably ask what is its scientific name? The problem comes that we are not taught the scientific names today and if we have no contact with non-english we are not inclined to learn them. OK, a bit of a general statement, but of many people today I believe this to be true.

However, there is always the problem of the scientific name changing!!!

So yes, I guess we have to just start to change... how exciting!

Cheers

Brian

Brian Miller

I fully understand the confusion.

The official UK list is compiled by the BOU and uses the 'new' common names (as explained clearly by Ian). This is the list that will be maintained within the Species Dictionary and has also been incorporated into Recorder. I suspect that the wider birding community will also adopt the names over time and this may already be happening.

So, the names are here to stay. However, the older (more familiar) names are still available in Recorder, so can be recorder against if you select a different list (they haven't been deleted). Also the nameserver (R6 only) maps the old and new names, so in theory translates between them. I haven't used R6 though, so am not sure how this looks in practice - perhaps a R6 user could ellaborate on this?

Would it help if I provided a spreadsheet that you can use as a look-up to translate between the two naming systems?

John

We're going to be using the new names in the bird reporting system system we're developing. Most experts, like Ian, don't particularly like the changes, but understand the need for them, so it wasn't hard for us to argue the case for using the new names.

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

Hi John

I have an Excel sheet with the new BOU list in it, with the 'old' names. If you wish a copy let me know. You would be welcome to use it if suitable - currently it has marked in colours those species that are national, Welsh and north east Wales rarities.

Cheers, Ian

Hi John/Ian,

Yes please to the Excel spreadsheet. Although we are going to have to get use to it, it would be good in the interim to have something for quick reference and lookup.

Is it worth you putting it for download on this site (File uploads) for others too?

Many thanks

Brian

Brian Miller

Don't forget that when looking up species you can use a wildcard to avoid the new name problem to a certain extent. E.g. type *magpie instead of just magpie, or *curlew instead of curlew. This certainly helps when looking up the new names from the BOU checklist in R6.

Charles

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

Hi Brian

I would be willing to upload the file for general use, but the uploading rules do not allow .xls files to be uploaded! If and when it is possible, I will gladly do so.

Cheers, Ian

PS Send me youir email address and I will send you the spreadsheet immediately (ian.spence@imsab.idps.co.uk)