Re: Species statuses

JNCC have published a number of status reviews over the years. Dipterists will be familiar with a series entitled "A review of the scarce and threatened flies of Great Britain" and there are no doubt other publications which deal with a whole range of taxonomic groups (e.g. The Vascular Plant Red Data List for Great Britain (2005) by Cheffings, C. and Farrell, L.). These are available free as pdf downloads from the JNCC website's  Species Status Assessment project
The turn-over rate for these documents can be as much as 10 years from the initial research to their incorporation into a printed document. The mechanism by which these statuses are subsequently incorporated into taxonomic dictionaries is unclear to me but one can be certain that this valuable information is not incorporated immediately.
Species statuses are critical to the services we provide to enquirers, there needs to be a mechanism which substantially increases this turn-over rate.

Re: Species statuses

Darwyn,

Thank you for pointing this out. The simplest approach is to let me know which lists you would like to see incorporated. I'll then liaise with the Recorder Team, add them to the queue and get back to you with approximate timescales.

Sadly, we don't have the resources to keep track of all new publications, so will inevitably miss some that are likely to be of use to Recorder users. This being the case, then it's important that we are notified of any resources that are missing - so please feel free to contact me with requests, both now and in the future.

Best wishes,
John