1 (edited by stevemcbill 22-02-2009 11:44:54)

Re: Missing Sawflies and Galls

There has been a dire need for a complete list/dictionary of 2 areas for some time. These are:

- Sawflies (Symphyta)
- Galls

Does anyone know when it is likley that such dictionary updates will be available for Recorder-6 ??

Sawflies used to be covered by Dave Sheppard (are they still or did Guy Knight at L'pool Museum take over coordination of the national recording scheme) - either way a definitive list should not be too difficult to come by. Much interest in Sawflies has been generated since the inception of the Yahoo Sawfly group and the UKLeafmines group and the leafmines UK website. Those who use MapMate seem to be able to handle the data relating to all of the 'old' and 'new' species but with Recorder we seem to be being left behind in this area. I feel a full Symphyta list (and indeed expansion of other lists to cover all leafmining and galling insects) is imperative and urgent.

Similarly with the publication a few years ago of the 'new' Gall Key volume by Field Studies Council (FSC) (written by Margaret Redfern and Peter Shirley for the BPGS). Many people have 'gotten into' galls since this publication but many of the taxon names present in the book are nowhere to be found in Recorder - such data is being lost very rapidly.

I have updated my new copy of Recorder-6 to bring in all the dictionary updates available on the net - it said it was already fully up to date (v. 6.10) so I assume I have not missed these species lists somewhere.

Hoping they can be provided fairly soon.

Cheers

Steve J. McWilliam        :)

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

Steve,

We have been holding back on the sawflies following advice from the Entomology Dept here at the NHM. The good news is that a new checklist is being compiled by Andrew Liston and will be completed within the next month. Once it is published we shall add it to the Dictionary, hence Recorder. It's difficult to put a date on this as it is currently out of our hands, but I would hope to see it in Recorder early next year.

Gall causing species are more problematic and this is an area of taxonomy that is far from straight forward. A mite checklist that will include the gall-forming taxa is in preparation, but is not expected this year. I'm less clear where we are with regard to the other groups. I've been in contact with the BPGS before and from memory think that they were compiling their own list. I'll check back with them and see what they'd recommend. I have previously been advised not to include the FSC volume - I'll dig out my notes and see why!

John

3 (edited by stevemcbill 07-06-2009 10:33:22)

John

Many thanks indeed. The sawflies list sounds exciting and I will look forward greatly to its incorporation within the dictionary and in Recorder (obviously).

Your response ref the galls is both encouraging and discouraging at one and the same time. Good news indeed that a gall mite list is likely to be incorporated before too long BUT very disquieting to hear that you have been recommended not to include the complete species list from the FSC publication. I know many entomologists who undertake gall recording are using this volume as the basis for identification (usually as a second string to their main interest). I would be very interested to hear why you have received such a recommendation. I know there are questions about some of the anthomyiid (Diptera) species galling pteridophytes.

Cheers and thanks again

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

Steve,

I've had a dig around in my notes (my memory isn't what it used to be!) and I was recommended by the BPGS themselves to hold back whilst they prepared an updated list for inclusion (in electronic form, which will help me greatly). I'll try and find out when this is expected, but as we rely upon voluntary support I don't want to place undue pressure on the Society.

So, a version of the FSC guide will in effect be added and the need for this has been noted. In terms of next steps then I'll add the list when it is received, but matching the names to the nameserver (for Recorder 6 reporting) may take a while longer as the taxonomy can be challenging - our problem, not yours :)

I'll update you when there is progress,
John

5 (edited by Darwyn Sumner (LERC) 07-04-2008 08:23:14)

The above postings date from quite a while back now. I was rather hoping to bring all my Hymenoptera records for Leicestershire up to date so that I could replace our Aculeate dataset on the NBN Gateway with a comprehensive Hymenoptera one.
Our Dipterists Forum Field Weeks are regularly attended by a Symphytologist (!), Andrew Halstead and we all help him out with Symphyta catches at various spots around the country, so there is lots of data out there which needs to be gathered up and published onto the Gateway.
A new Symphyta list would be really handy, is there any current news about progress on this as I'm using the old Recorder 3 list.

I shall contact Gavin Broad to see what can be done about a sawflies list - it is possible that the list that John Tweddle was hoping to get was a European list and not a British list. I shall also give a prod to the BPGS to see where they are up to with production of their list.

Best wishes,

Charles

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

Here is an update on the situation:

I have received (via Gavin Broad) an up-to-date checklist of Bristish and Irish Symphyta compiled by A. D. Liston & D. A. Sheppard. This will require considerable manipulation to get it into a form suitable for importing into the Dictionary but hopefully this can be done in about a month's time.

I have also just received the Plant Gall Society list of gall-forming organisms from Janet Boyd (thank you very much Janet). This should be quicker to import but will also need some tweaking.

Regards,

Charles

Dear Charles,

Sorry to appear 'pushy' but just wondering if there was any further updates on the progress made with the Sawfly and Gall lists being massaged and imported into the taxon dictionary ??

Cheers and thanks

Steve J. McWilliam  :)

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

Dear Steve,

As I mentioned previously, both lists have arrived with us at the NHM and are presently in a queue of work. Although we have automated import routines it is unfortunately never as simple as just clicking a button and a lot of work is required to get the data as received into the format that our import routines can work on.

Sawflies will come first as I still need to sort out licence agreements with the Gall people, but it may still be up to a month before the lists are delivered to the Recorder Team and they will then have to decide when it is appropriate to issue an update.

Please bear with us!

Regards,

Charles Hussey

Thanks Charles - very much appreciated - I look forward greatly to these lists being incorporated. Thank you for chasing them up for all involved.

Cheers

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

11 (edited by stevemcbill 07-06-2009 10:37:13)

Charles

Just noticed that MapMate is being updated with the Newer Sawfly nomenclature - this was a note on the UK Leafminers Newsletter (available on the UK Leafminers website (http://www.leafmines.co.uk/)). The extract from the Newsletter went as follows:

"The updated sawfly nomenclature (courtesy of Liston and Sheppard, 2008) has been passed to Mapmate so that they can update their programme. Watch out for when it is released!

Guy Knight, who runs the National Sawfly Recording Scheme says: "the scheme is active
and I would welcome all records of leafmining (and other) sawflies in just about any format,
although Excel spreadsheets including at least a four figure grid reference are the ideal."

He would also be pleased to add anyone interested to the scheme newsletter circulation.

His email address:

Guy.Knight@liverpoolmuseums.org.uk

His postal address:

Guy Knight,
Zoology (Entomology) Section,
World Museum Liverpool,
William Brown Street,
Liverpool,
L3 8EN"

How are we doing on the Sawfly list for Rec-6 ??

Cheers

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

Dear Steve,

The Symphyta list (of 2040 names) was added to the Species Dictionary on 12th December but has not yet been passed by us to the Recorder Team. This is because we first need to make changes to name mapping within our name server, based upon the new synonymy and 1940 new name strings presented by the Liston & Sheppard list. This is going on at the moment but is rather slow work because it requires visual inspection.

By the way, we are working from a copy of the Liston & Sheppard list dated 20th September 2008. Our pre-import checks on the February 2008 version resulted in us sending over 300 comments to the authors, which led them to prepare a revised version. I expect that Mapmate have used the September version, but it might be worth checking.

Regards,

Charles Hussey

13 (edited by stevemcbill 19-02-2009 10:13:23)

Thanks for that Charles - very much appreciated.

I have passed on the information ref the list changes to Guy Knight (National Sawfly Recorder) and I think/hope he will pass them on to the MapMate people. It will be good to have an accurate and up to date list finally available.

Thanks for all your work on this.

Cheers

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

Charles

Just a quick 'Thank you' for both the Sawflies and Galls lists now being incorporated in the recent (yesterday - 13/08/2009) Dictionary Update.  These have been long awaited and their inclusion is very much appreciated.

Thanks for all your work and persistence on these issues.

Cheers

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

I am sorry that everyone had to wait so long for this list to be added to the Species Dictionary. It took a long time to process, partly due to the format that it came in but also because, during checking prior to import, we raised a number of queries with the authors, who were thus able to improve their own list, as well as the version that eventually made it into the Dictionary.

Regards,

Charles Hussey

Dear Charles,

One of the 'new' species I was hoping to see with the new Dictionary updates was Parna apicalis (Brischke, 1888) - a sawfly.

However, checking both the NHM Dictionary search and the NBN webservices name search today (20th August 2009) I cannot find this species at all.

Can you possibly confirm that this species was in the new dictionary update (Sawfly List) ??  If it is do you happen to know when the NHM dictionary and webservices will catch up with the latest release ??

Many thanks for your time and efforts.

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

Dear Steve,

It is indeed in the Liston & Sheppard Checklist of British and Irish Hymenoptera Symphyta 2008. You will have to contact the Gateway Team to find out when their copy of the Dictionary will be updated, but I suspect that it shouldn't be too long as they received an update from me towards the beginning of this month.

Regards,

Charles Hussey

Dear Steve

I have received the latest update of the NHM species dictionary from Charles this month and it is now on my list of updates to do on the NBN Gateway and one of the jobs I hope to do in September, as part  of the next round of dataset loading when it will appear on the Gateway mid to end of September. The species Parna apicalis will not however appear on the Gateway / web services until there is a corresponding record on the Gateway.

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer

19 (edited by stevemcbill 09-09-2009 15:06:01)

Dear Graham,

Back in June 2008 (See over at: http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?pid=3031#p3031) you indicated that the lack of availability of species information on webservices for species with no records on the Gateway was being reviewed as the ability to obtain names and keys for such species had been requested from a few areas.

You also pointed to Andy Brewer's original explanation as to why such species were not available (due to the policy of not presenting information for species with no records) - (http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=614).

Could I ask whether this 'review' of procedure has yet taken place and if so, what the outcome was ?? I think this will be very important for a number of LRCs.

To me, the problem seems somewhat circular. If names and keys are not presented on a webservices dictionary search then this makes it impossible for our online input routines to accept that species - consequently no records for that species get into the system and onto the Gateway - which in turn means that as there are no records for that species then the info will not be presented. I feel this circle needs to be broken.

Cheers

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

Hello Steve

Following a web service review earlier in the year a new version (version 3.3) of web services has now been released (see http://data.nbn.org.uk/library/webservices/versions.jsp) This update concentrated on improving the performance of a number of the web services but did not include the taxonomy web service this time around. The taxonomy web service still reflects the functionality provided by the Gateway in that no response is returned for a taxon name if there is no record on the Gateway.

As you say this does impose a "circular" limitation on using this web service and this situation is not ideal. I personally hope that this can be corrected in the next release of the NBN web services.

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical liasion officer