Re: Not a fly ...

I have just noticed that top of the list in the RDB list of British Insects - Diptera is Potter Flower Bee Anthophora retusa.

M.

Dear Murdo,

I am not sure whether you are referring to a list within Recorder or a copy of the RDB that you have seen 'out on the web'. As far as I can see, whilst the "Red Data Book of British Insects (Shirt, 1987)" is one of the checklists within the Species Dictionary (and Recorder), it is not broken down into separte lists by orders. Anthophora retusa is certainly assigned as 'insect - hymenopteran' within the Species Dictionary.

Best wishes,

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

It is in R6, Charles.  Dictionaries/Taxon and the screenshot at www.hbrg.org.uk/files/Screenshot.jpg shows it!

Oddly, though, it does not show up as an option if you add a species record and search unrestricted.

I think I have up-to-date dictionaries.

Murdo

Using the unrestricted option when searching the taxon dictionary means searching all the lists that can be used for data entry not all lists. In Recorder 6, users are blocked from using the lists that provide status information for data entry to help avoid some of the reporting problems caused by using these lists in Recorder 2002. I have asked that this be made clear and that Recorder 6 also provide a facility to search across all lists but I am not sure whether this has made it onto the feature requests.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

I have now had a chance to check what is happening here. The parent was wrongly assigned within the Shirt list and this has now been corrected (from Diptera to Hymenoptera). I am afraid that this has just missed the deadline for the next recorder update, but it will eventually trickle through.

Best wishes.

Charles Hussey

I should have added a thank you for spotting this and bringing it to our attention. I am sure that there are many more errors awaiting sharp eyes such as yours to uncover .

Charles

I have just sent the Recorder Team the latest version of the Species Dictionary, which contains this correction - so it should make it into the next update to Recorder after all.

Charles Hussey