Re: gall causer Eriosoma

HI, I have been looking for the gall-causing aphids Eriosoma (Aphididae) (specifically Eriosoma lanuginosum) in Recorder to no avail.  Can anyone tell me which dictionary if any to look in - I have tried recorder3, list of additional names, and in other more unlikely places...

Louise, Cambridgehsire & Peterborough Biological Records Centre

I understand that the Homoptera (to which aphids belong) is one of the few gaps remaining in the species dictionary. Charles should be able to shed light on when the checklist may arrive or where the experts are with working on it etc. I can't see another obvious place where this group might be temporarily included in another list - your particular species is not in the checklist for scarce heteroptera - again Charles may be able to help.

Lynn

Dear Louise,

Lynn is right, we don't yet have a good list for Homoptera (although Heteroptera are better covered).

There are 6 species of Eriosoma in the British Plant Gall Society List (which, if it isn't in your copy of Recorder, will be coming in the next Recorder update).

NB the authorities are not complete as they lack a date but can be used for the time being.

Eriosoma anncharlotteae Danielsson
Eriosoma grossulariae (Schüle)
Eriosoma lanigerum (Hausmann)
Eriosoma lanuginosum Hartig
Eriosoma patchiae (Börner & Blunck)
Eriosoma ulmi (L.)

Regards,

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

4 (edited by stevemcbill 08-07-2009 21:33:19)

Charles

A new version of Recorder was released just before the end of June 2009. Does this new version of the Recorder software have all the latest Dictionary updates incorporated within it (e.g. Galls, Aphids, Sawflies, etc.) ??

The reason I ask is that I thought that now the updates of software and dictionaries were split, and deliberately so. Consequently, can we expect to see these new dictionary lists and updates to existing dictionaries appearing as dictionary updates on the Dictionary Update page any time soon  ??

Many thanks

Steve
http://www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

Hi Steve,

I don't believe that there has been a release of the Recorder software in June this year - there is one due (likely to be August) but nothing has been released since 6.13.3 in autumn 2008. You are right in thinking that the dictionary upgrades are separate from the software upgrades - the last dictionary upgrade was 0000000F which was provided in October 2008. Only the installation disks will include the latest version of both the software and dictionary at the time of their release - if you are upgrading you will have to upgrade both parts separately software and dictionary) as and when updates are available.

There will be an upgrade available in July/August for the species dictionary which will be made available as usual on the dictionary download page of the recorder website - this will have all the latest dictionary updates incorporated. This update will include the two NERC lists (41 and 42 - England and Wales) as well as an update to the JNCC collation of taxon designations. I understand that there are other additions and amendments that Charles has also added to the dictionary for the next version.

Lynn

Dear Steve,

Galls and Sawflies will be in this next release. Aphids unfortunately are still under-represented.

Best wishes,

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

Hi Charles and Lynn,

My extreme apologies for this - I don't know where I got the idea that there had been a release of the software at the end of June - though for some reason I was convinced there had been.

Thank you for so kindly, and calmly, putting me straight. Much appreciated.

I shall now greatly look forward to the end of July and the new Dictionary release(s).

Cheers and thanks.

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

No problem.

Lynn