Re: Invalid R6 names

Having had a large number of taxa not listed in R2002 dictionaries, it is good to have reduced that number substantially with R6.  I still have the following which are not listed in current dictionaries.

These are (most in groups with which I am not familiar):
Acalitus calycophthirus
Aceria cephaloneus
Adelges cooleyi
Andricus inflator
Andricus legitimus
Bradysia chandleri
Caloplaca sorediella
Eriophyes lissonotus
Lasiobolus lasioboloides
Phylloxera quercus
Pyxidiophora badiorostris
Sporormiella octonalis
Synchrytium taraxaci.

I have checked (with Google, of course!) that all of these are known names, though with Synchrytium I have found only the genus and not that particular species.

I also note that Geophilus easoni (centipede) is on the R6 dictionary, but is not recognised on the Gateway.  I am surprised that this should happen at all.

Some of the taxa are pretty new (e.g. B. chandleri), but others seem to be long established (e.g. Adelges, Andricus spp., and Caloplaca).

Murdo

Caloplaca sorediella is in the British Isles List of Lichens and Lichenicolous Fungi. Although not defined in R6 as the preferred dictionary this is the most up to date list for lichens, maintained by the British Lichen Society, so it is always worth checking for this group.

Janet

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

Thanks for pointing that out, Janet.  I also find that A. inflator is in the additional names list.  I thought I had been searching unrestricted, but not for these two obviously.

M.

Dear Murdo,

Some of your names are now in the Species Dictionary as part of the British Plant Gall Society checklist:
Acalitus calycophthirus (in without an authority) TVK: NHMSYS0020470014
Aceria cephaloneus (in without an authority) TVK: NHMSYS0020470030
Adelges cooleyi (Gillette) TVK: NHMSYS0020470115
Andricus legitimus Wiebes-Rijks, 1980 TVK: NHMSYS0020470151
Eriophyes lissonotus (in without an authority) TVK: NHMSYS0020470317

Caloplaca sorediella TVK: NHMSYS0020039008 occurs in the British Lichen Society list

Synchrytium taraxaci is miss-spelled. It is in the Dictionary as Synchytrium taraxaci de Bary & Woronin TVK: BMSSYS0000018218

I have added the follwing to the ‘List of Additional Names’:
Bradysia chandleri Menzel, 2007 TVK: NHMSYS0020503132 (You are ahead of the game as I have not yet received this species through Dipterists Forum)
Phylloxera quercus Boyer de Fonscolombe, 1834 TVK: NHMSYS0020503138 (Hemiptera are under-represented in the Dictionary as we do not yet have a comprehensive checklist for this group)

Your three fungi are not yet in the BMS list
Lasiobolus lasioboloides Marchal TVK: NHMSYS0020503144
Pyxidiophora badiorostris N. Lundq. TVK: NHMSYS0020503150
Sporormiella octonalis S.I. Ahmed & Cain TVK: NHMSYS0020503156

All these names should appear in the Gateway and Recorder once we have sent our next update at the end of this month.

Regards.

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

Thanks for that Charles.

Murdo