Re: Upgrading to Recorder 6.13 in Citrix environment-problems

Hi Mick,
The first problem (hanging on the splash screen after displaying the Upgrading Recorder 6 message) indicates that the local user registry settings for Recorder (in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Dorset Software\Recorder 6) are not correct so Recorder is attempting to repair them when it is started. This could be a consequence of your latter comment about running the Workstation install then rebooting before MDAC was installed. What I don’t understand from your message is that presumably you had Recorder 6.9.3 up and running fine beforehand, so running the Workstation install was unnecessary. Also running the server database installation items as mentioned in your points would not be required. All you would have needed to do is run the Upgrade kit once from a single client machine with rights to update the server folder. Then there should not have been any issues with the registry. It sounds from your notes as if you are attempting a re-install onto Citrix rather than just an upgrade?

After running the RecorderApp.exe file, have you tried looking in the Windows Event Log (the Application Event Log)? See Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Event Viewer

Cheers,

Simon Wood
[url=http://www.dorsetsoftware.com/]Dorset Software Services[/url]

Hi Alex,
The Recorder.exe file is indeed just a splash screen which runs RecorderApp.exe. It then waits for a message from RecorderApp.exe to confirm that it is loaded, before closing the splash screen. As RecorderApp.exe is failing to load, it is presumably not telling the splash screen application to shut down so it just hangs.

Are you able to use the Profiler tool supplied with SQL Server 2000/2005? If so, I suggest connecting to your server NBNData database using the profiler, then starting the RecorderApp.exe file to see if anything happens. If you get nothing in the trace this either means that the registry settings for the database connection are wrong (though this would normally result in an error message) or simply that the RecorderApp.exe is not even getting far enough to try and connect.

I'll have a further think about other potential isseus to,

Regards,

Simon Wood

Firstly, yes, you can run a clean install and connect to an existing database in the fashion you describe, as long as the database is for the same version of Recorder. Otherwise you can still do this but must subsequently run the upgrade.

Secondly, no, the application should not have any hard coded references to the NBNUser account so as long as this account has correct privileges it should be fine.

Another thought occurred to me – are you running with local machine administrator rights when you load RecorderApp.exe? For the first run after the upgrade it will be necessary to have local admin rights otherwise Recorder cannot register any changes to its API with Windows.

Regards

Simon Wood

Part 1 under the heading Example Network Installation in the Network Installation Guide v5.1 (p.17 in my printout) says 'Insert the Recorder 6 CD ... into the server machine' and it explains why it has to go into the server - not easy if the server doesn't have a CD/DVD drive. In one installation I worked on there was no CD/DVD drive on the server so the R6 installation CD had to be copied onto the server via another machine and the installation done from there. The problem was that many things were Read-only which blocked different parts of the install until the Read-only was removed and despite requesting the remove Read-only to cascade it didn't.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

Hi,

I'm also setting this up on Citrix and came across the same problem with the splash screen hanging on Win2003. Try adding RecorderApp.exe to the exclusion list in DEP or switch DEP to just 'essential Windows programs and services only' this fixed the problem for me.

With regard to the error relating to MDAC 2.7 attempting to install the client on Win2003 I've modified the Recorder System components installation to correctly detect the OS so it doesn't attempt to install MDAC 2.7 on Win2003. I know its only a cosmetic problem but I can upload the updated System Components somewhere if you want a copy, It's too big to upload here.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Gareth.

Excellent, glad to help.

A bit of further into, this doesn't happen with version 6.10.4 on Windows 2003 so not sure if this is a bug that need investigating?

The following is the crash report from Recorder.

Cheers,

Gareth.

date/time         : 2009-03-18, 17:16:15, 108ms
computer name     : WIN2003R2
user name         : Administrator
operating system  : Windows 2003 Service Pack 1 build 3790
system language   : English
system up time    : 7 hours 14 minutes
program up time   : 1 second
processor         : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz
physical memory   : 32/383 MB (free/total)
free disk space   : (C:) 3.56 GB
display mode      : 1152x864, 32 bit
process id        : $26c
allocated memory  : 12.23 MB
command line      : RecorderApp.exe /655486
executable        : RecorderApp.exe
exec. date/time   : 2008-11-04 08:45
version           : 6.13.3.182
madExcept version : 2.7h
exception class   : EAccessViolation
exception message : Access violation at address 00983AE2 in module 'RecorderApp.exe'. Read of address 00000000.

main thread ($f5c):
00983ae2 RecorderApp.exe ApplicationSettings 3392 TApplicationSettings.ClearAllFilteredRecords
0097956b RecorderApp.exe ApplicationSettings  695 TApplicationSettings.Destroy
7c82ee7f ntdll.dll                                RtlRaiseStatus
7c82ecc1 ntdll.dll                                KiUserExceptionDispatcher
77e4a7cf kernel32.dll                             EnumSystemLocalesA
00435c96 RecorderApp.exe SysUtils                 TLanguages.Create
00435d70 RecorderApp.exe SysUtils                 Languages
0097ad09 RecorderApp.exe ApplicationSettings  908 TApplicationSettings.ReadHelpFilePath
00979f70 RecorderApp.exe ApplicationSettings  859 TApplicationSettings.ReadRegistrySettings
00979353 RecorderApp.exe ApplicationSettings  631 TApplicationSettings.Create
0099f525 RecorderApp.exe RecorderApp          269 initialization