Topic: Common names for birds

I note that following one of the recent dictionary updates the preferred common names for birds have reverted to the long-winded versions ('Eurasian' this and 'Western' that) once again, and not the ones that people actually use and the ones used in the official British List. Is this a conscious decision or has this come about 'accidentally' during work on the species dictionary? I know this first happened in R6 many moons ago and after a number of queries the preferred names reverted back to the ones that everyone uses. Could someone perhaps explain what has happened and if there are any plans to change this.

Thanks

Mark

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

Re: Common names for birds

Hi

R6 should  now be following the UKSI as far as common names are concerned. Up until recently there was no indication in the UKSI of what should  be used as the  preferred common name, but there is now a way of getting this from the UKSi  which is implemented in in the latest dictionary update. I  will double check that this is working as it should be. In principle I don't think the R6 Dictionary update should be making this decision.

Mike Weideli

Thanks Mike

I know it must be something to do with the process of bringing R6 in line with UKSI, and agree that it should be something for UKSI to sort out and for R6 to follow. Perhaps this is something that can be queried with UKSI? An example is 'Eurasian Bullfinch' which is listed on BOU British List as 'Bullfinch' with an alternative name (IOC World Bird List international English name) of 'Eurasian Bullfinch'. But it doesn't hold true for all species (Teal is still the preferred common name in R6 and not Eurasian Teal) I don't mind if this is a decision that has been taken/adopted following some logical decision, but it just seems odd that the preferred common names that we spit out of R6 when reporting are not in line with that of the official British List and the names that everyone recognises - just something that seems a little odd and worth querying.

Mark

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

Hi

It is very complicated and what works for one group doesn't always work for others. i will just need to double check that R6 is following the UKSI and if it is then we can get Chris to look at the indicators that control the allocation.

Mike Weideli

Thanks as ever for your help Mike

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

Hi

I have spoken with Chris about this. Together we are going to work out a way of improving this. Even though there is a method within the UKSI of arriving at a preferred Common Name, it is in some cases just choosing the name at random. Hopefully we will do it fairly quickly.

Mike Weideli