1 (edited by stevemcbill 08-03-2021 12:14:05)

Topic: Anasimyia lineata (Hoverfly)

Hi Chris,

Not at all sure what you will make of the below or whether you will wish to pursue it further due to potential change soon.  I posted a photo on the UK Hoverflies FB group:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve J. McWilliam
I'm a bit puzzled over this one (Cors Ddyga, Pentre Berw, Anglesey - SH46297248) photo'd on 09/06/2019.  I think it is Anasimyia lineata BUT I have just found that on the continent this was renamed to Lejops lineatus and has then again been split into Eurymyia lineata and Erymyia stipata.  Can anyone provide any clarification for me please ??

Roger Morris
badge icon
I would stick with Anasimyia lineata! Gerard Pennards, have you any insights into what is going on!

Steve J. McWilliam
Roger Morris
, is it A.lineata - it has been suggested it may be contract or transfuga as there is no sign of an extended face or orange antennae ??

Roger Morris
no, it is lineata, I think the face is just obscured by the angle as are the antennae

Steve J. McWilliam
Thanks Roger; nice to get confirmation.

Gerard Pennards
Roger Morris
Well, what is going on is that this species is placed in a new genus (also in Europe!), which used to be a subgenus. It is like this: In the Nearctic Anasimyia is seen as a subgenus of Lejops, but here in the Palearctic workers tend to see them as a genus. In 2019 Skevington and Locke published their guide on Syrphidae of northeastern North America, in which they found such differences on a genetic level that this species was placed in another genus, so now it is officially called Eurimyia lineata. It was thought to occur in the Nearctic region as well, but they also found that lineata occurs only in the Palearctic region, the one that was called lineata in the Nearctic is nowadays called Eurimyia stipata....

Roger Morris
Gerard Pennards
many thanks - that makes life far too complicated so I think I will stick with Anasimyia!

Gerard Pennards
Roger Morris
Yes, but when the Red list of European Hoverflies will be published you'll see the name has changed to Eurimyia lineata. The rest of the species is still called Anasimyia though....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers,

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

Re: Anasimyia lineata (Hoverfly)

Apologies for taking a while to review these updates but this one seems to have been fixed already :)

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)