Topic: Record Cleaner - Master species list manual update available

The attached zip file contains the master species list taken from the UK Species Inventory this month (April 2020). This version of the species dictionary will be added to the NBN Atlas in early May.

The files can be updated manually on a fresh install of the NBN Record Cleaner. The zip file contains Graham French's original instructions on how to do this. See this forum post for more details https://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=6754.

A couple of people have tested this manual update. Please let me know if you have any problems updating the files, if it all goes well I will update the files in the Record Cleaner application.

Many thanks, Sophie

Post's attachments

MasterSpeciesList_update_2020-04-19.zip 13.71 mb, 50 downloads since 2020-04-24 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Record Cleaner - Master species list manual update available

Thanks for this, it installed with no problems and is looking good.
Janet

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

3 (edited by FNRCinfoassist 05-05-2020 16:50:23)

Hello, thank you for the update. I have experienced an error message since the update which goes as follows:

Errors occurred whilst updating the Master Species List.

It is OK to continue using RecordCleaner - this message is for information only.

For details see file - c:\program Files (x86)\NBNRecordCleaner\VerificationData\MasterSpeciesErrors.txt

The strange thing is when I go to see the error txt there is no file? Other than the above error everything seems to work. Any ideas/suggestions?

UPDATE: I have now downloaded a fresh copy of the Record Cleaner and installed it, then updated the master species lists. This has cleared the original error message but I now have no ID difficulties? Any help appreciated.

Hi,
You need to copy over both files: MasterSpeciesList.keep.txt and MasterSpeciesList.txt

MasterSpeciesList.txt has an additional column called msgId, which is important for the ID difficulties. Would you try replacing both files and then re-uploading the id difficulty rules?

Thanks, Sophie

Thank you Sophie,
I have copied over both files and updated the ID difficulties to all be checked (is that what you mean by "re-uploading the id difficulty rules"?).  I got the error message again but at least the ID difficulties are now back.

Hi,
Yes, I meant to update the ID difficulties. I don't know what to suggest. I'll see if I can get the same error on my copy of Record Cleaner.

Thanks, Sophie

Hi Sophie

I have only just noticed that the column headings NameType and WellFormed might make more sense if transposed.  This is true for previous versions of the Master Species List as well.

The entries for NameType are W,I,U which seem to me to be the Wellformed, Incorrectly formed and Unverified entries of the UKSI Nameserver field - Taxon_Version_Form.

The entries for WellFormed are S,V which seem to me to be the Scientific, Vernacular entries of the Nameserver field - Taxon_Type.

Providing anyone using these fields realises this it is not a problem.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,
I never noticed that either. I'll try it out when we next update the species dictionary on the Atlas and Record Cleaner, which will most likely be in September or October.

Best wishes, Sophie

Just tried to run some bird records through Record Cleaner and most of them were failed the validation test due to "Non Unique Scientific Name". This includes records of common birds such as Erithacus rubecula and Parus major.

I don't recall encountering this error before. Is there anything I can do get round it?

Martin Harvey
Biological Records Centre
CEH Wallingford

Hi Martin,

Someone else had the same issue and I think there was a problem in an older Master List.

I have just posted the latest master lists: https://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=7767. Would you update the two files in the Verification Data folder, instructions are in the zip file, and see if you have the same issue, please?

Best wishes, Sophie