Topic: Fungi - synonym confusion

This relates to comfrey rust which appears as either Melampsora symphyti or Melampsorella symphyti. Both names appear on NBN Atlas with no mention of a synonym, also on the Recorder 6 both names are listed as recommended names with separate TVKs.

According to Index Fungorum the correct  nomenclature is:
Pucciniastrum symphyti (DC.) McKenzie & Padamsee, in Padamsee & McKenzie, Phytotaxa 174(3): 228 (2014)
with both Melampsora and Melampsorella listed as synonyms.

Pucciniastrum symphyti is not currently listed on NBN.

All three species appear on UKSI with Melampsorella symphtyi listed as the recommended name for P. symphyti.

I am confused, can someone calrify please.

Many thanks

Christine

Re: Fungi - synonym confusion

Hi Christine - I'll get Richard Shotbolt to check that one out. He is maintaining the BMS checklist currently. You're correct that, as of the current UKSI status, we have Melampsorella symphyti (DC.) Bubák as the recommended name for Pucciniastrum symphyti (DC.) McKenzie & Padamsee

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)

Richard Shotbolt says:

"Hi Chris, Melampsorella symphyti is the current accepted name in the BMS Checklist, as it's a basidiomycete and has to follow the Checklist of British & Irish Basidiomycota (CBIB). Melampsora symphyti should be made a synonym for Melampsorella symphyti - I can do this in the Checklist now. In due course (when CBIB is under Kew's control) they will all become Pucciniastrum symphyti, or whatever Index Fungorum says at the time!"

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)

Thank you.
Sometimes it is difficult to know which name to use. When in doubt I usually look at Index Fungorum, but I will now start with the BMS Checklist.

Christine