Topic: Bat Conservation Trust list - Common Pipistrelle

It has just come to my attention that the recommended TVK for "Common Pipistrelle" on the Bat Conservation Trust is NHMSYS0020001356, that is Pipistrellus pipistrellus (Schreber, 1774) sensu lato.

I believe this is incorrect and the recommended TVK should be NHMSYS0020001355 (i.e. Pipistrellus pipistrellus (Schreber, 1774) sensu stricto)

My reasoning is thus...
1) The BCT list is post-split of Pipistrelle
2) There is no "sensu stricto" on the BCT list
3) There is a sp agg of Pipistrelle Bat species in addition to the Genus (this is surely not valid as it is a "genus" - should it be "pipistrelle sensu lato"?)
4) When searching for 45khz pip you are presented with NHMSYS0020001356

Chris, I would welcome your thoughts and investigatory powers into this one!

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

2 (edited by charliebarnes 07-11-2016 14:28:20)

Re: Bat Conservation Trust list - Common Pipistrelle

Urgh this is hurting my head. Some are coming out recommended (in Recorder) as sensu lato others as sensu stricto. Is it something to do with the myriad of common names (which aren't accessible via the Recorder interface?)

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Right, so it's Pipistrellus pipistrellus that's coming out as sensu lato - anything seems to be okay. I assume this is because of the split, but I still think it's "wrong".

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

I think the confusion is down to the fact that NHMSYS0020001356 is a species aggregate not a species.

NHMSYS0020001356 (species aggregate), has the name of Pipistrellus pipistrellus sensu lato. It has Pipistrellus pipistrellus (no attribute), Pipistrelle, Pipistrelle bat, Pipistrelle Bat, ystlum lleiaf and ystlumod lleiaf pointing to it.

NHMSYS0020001355 is a species, with the name of   Pipistrellus pipistrellus sensu stricto (Schreber, 1774). It has  Pipistrellus pipistrellus 45kHz,Vespertilio pipistrellus Schreber, 1774,45 Khz Pipistrelle,Common Pipistrelle and  Bandit Pipistrelle pointing to it.

Mike Weideli

I'm picking this up again - I think it's affecting data displayed on the NBN Atlas:

see e.g. https://records.nbnatlas.org/occurrence … c759f01220

where a record of Pipistrellus pipistrellus (Schreber, 1774) has been matched to the aggregate taxa via the concept ID.

I suspect this is due to the fact that the BCT list's recommended taxon for Pipistrellus pipistrellus (Schreber, 1774) is the aggregate rather than.

My reasons and conclusion from my first post (that the recommended name for pip pip on the BCT list needs changing) still stand I think.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

We also have an odd situation on the NBN Atlas where the supplied scientific name "Pipistrellus pipistrellus sensu lato (Schreber, 1774)" is being translated to 45 KHZ PIPISTRELLE (i.e. sensu sticto):

https://records.nbnatlas.org/occurrence … 3ec822382c

There are some serious issues with the taxonomy and interpretation here that need sorting.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer