Topic: strange preferred taxon behaviour

Not sure if this is me being thick, but I'm have a few problems with extracting Preferred Taxon details for a small number of species (so for only noticed in the Crytophagus and Sitona spp)

I will only us one example for the species Sitona ambiguus

On the Preferred list "_BEETLES..." this is known as Sitona (Sitona) ambiguus with the TVK NHMSYS0020153439
On the Recorder v3.3 list this is known as Sitona ambiguus with the TVK NBNSYS0000025178

If I go to add a record of Sitona ambiguus Recorder defaults to the preferred  Sitona (Sitona) ambiguus

but if I create a report with both alternatives in and include Preferred_TVK and Preferred_Taxon_Name to report includes ALL entries as 'Sitona ambiguus' and TVK 'NBNSYS0000025178'

if exported and compared against the preferred list ALL entries are ignored!

See attached image for a visual

Post's attachments

Sitona.jpg 26.1 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

Re: strange preferred taxon behaviour

Hi Craig .... I'm not sure whether this is a Recorder issue or a UKSI one. As it is though I'm updating the beetles with the help of Mark Gurney and so if there are any data glitches he will notice them and we'll iron them out. Right now I have gone through and swapped names with bracketed subgenera for normal binomials, as this seems to be a very common request from the recorders. In the example you gave we have the following:

Sitona ambiguus Gyllenhal, 1834
   =Sitona (Sitona) ambiguus Gyllenhal, 1834   
   =Sitona brevicollis sensu Hudson Beare, 1930 not Gyllenhal   
   =Sitona brevicollis sensu auctt. partim non Gyllenhal, 1834   
   =Sitona lineellus sensu Lindberg, 1933, auctt. Brit. post 1930 non (Bonsdorff, 1785)   
   =Sitona lineellus var. brevicollis sensu Joy, 1932 not (Gyllenhal)   
   =Sitones brevicollis sensu Fowler, 1891 not (Gyllenhal)

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)