1 (edited by stevemcbill 05-09-2009 15:32:13)

Re: Requirement for Coleoptera Introduction Species

There is at least one species of ladybird which is introduced into Britain on an occasional basis by food imports by Supermarkets. This is the South African Ladybird Cheilomenes lunata. We have recorded it in Cheshire (2006) but are unable to include it on the Recorder database as it seems to be missing from the available dictionaries (If I am wrong here and looking in the wrong area then can someone please point me in the correct direction).

Many thanks

Steve J. McWilliam

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

Dear Steve,

Can you find me the full authority for the name, then I shall add it to the Dictionary. Interestingly, I see that it is not included in the Coleopterist 2008 Checklist, nor is it in Fauna Europaea.

I am afraid it won't make the next update to Recorder, but I shall be able to give you a TAXON_VERSION_KEY that you can use for the name.

Regards,

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

3 (edited by stevemcbill 28-04-2016 10:11:56)

Charles

Thanks for this.

The full name with authority is:

Cheilomenes lunata (Fabricius)

Records of this species in Britain have been reported in the "Entomologists Record and Journal of Variation by Paul Mabbott - 2005, VOL 117; PART 4, pages 176-177". See the British Library webpage at:

http://direct.bl.uk/bld/PlaceOrder.do?U … archengine

Cheers

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

Charles / Steve
Just a quick note regarding the dictionary updates. Ideally people should not try adding entries to the Recorder dictionary directly except through the recognised routes (I dont imagine you would but it is worth just emphasising the point here). The 'recognised routes' are:
- adding a taxon through the dictionary interface - this adds an entry to the dictionary and gives it a local key. The main purpose is to allow a user to carry on entering records until a dictionary update can be shipped at which point any records made against the temporary entry should be remapped to the system supplied one
- downloading an update to the dictionary as published through the Recorder website - this is the route through which changes to the NBN dictionary should be added to a copy.

If users attempt to force entries directly into the tables from the backend, even if these have the same keys as the system supplied ones, the risk is that the dictionary begins to diverge and the update mechanism may not overwrite the entries that have been forced in.

Best wishes
Steve

5 (edited by stevemcbill 05-09-2009 15:34:13)

Steve

Many thanks for timely reminder.

Despite people's best efforts with the dictionaries and their development (NBN Online's version, Recorder-6 versions and the webservices dictionary); it is easy for people/users to become centered on the missing species and on the time-lags involved in promulgating changes throughout the system and thus to become frustrated to the point where they may attempt things which they would otherwise never even consider.

So, a timely reminder that standards should be followed for the best overall solution and to prevent future problems.

Cheers

Steve  :)

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk