Topic: Download spatial dataset?

I am trying to download the LERC boundary layer from the Atlas, but can't figure out how. Is there a way, or perhaps there is a policy or technical reason why not?

I have tried searching for the layer or going through the provider (ALERC) but because spatial datasets are not being treated as datasets it doesn't appear: https://registry.nbnatlas.org/public/show/dp94
This issue has previously been raised by me here: https://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=6926

I have tried the export option in the analyse/spatial portal, but the best I can do is export some species records with the name of the LERC each record falls inside as an attribute.

There isn't anything about downloading non-species datasets in the help that I can see.

Any pointers please? I thought that all data on the Atlas had to be licenced and downloadable - it shouldn't matter if it is a dataset contains geometries or not?

-----------------
Teresa Frost | Wetland Bird Survey National Organiser | BTO
Other hat  | National Forum for Biological Recording Council
(Old hats  | NBN Board, ALERC Board, CBDC, KMBRC)

Re: Download spatial dataset?

Hi Teresa,
It is not possible to export any external partner-supplied spatial datasets from the Atlas. The spatial datasets are licenced for mapping and analysis purposes only.

I am sorry for any inconvenience,

Best wishes, Sophie

Thanks Sophie. It's a bit disappointing that an exception to what I understood to be the NBN Atlas philosophy (mandatory open data licences/what you see is what you can download) has been made for those datasets, especially as many are available under an OGL licence for example on other portals. (Although I understand this is probably related to complex issues around OS derived data licencing etc. and/or technical issues.)

One for the future, perhaps!

-----------------
Teresa Frost | Wetland Bird Survey National Organiser | BTO
Other hat  | National Forum for Biological Recording Council
(Old hats  | NBN Board, ALERC Board, CBDC, KMBRC)

I'll see if I can find out a bit more about it and let you know. But yes, those under OGL licence you would have thought we could make available.  I guess we could tell you where to download it from?

In case it is helpful, the the boundary layer in question is CC0 and was produced by the adaptation (by me) of OS Boundary-Line which is OGL.

It would be really helpful if this can be easily downloadable as several people need to use the file, and using the Atlas is a really good way of sharing it.

Regards,

Tom Hunt - Association of Local Environmental Record Centres, National Coordinator

The spatial layer metadata forms in the spatial portal already contain urls for the original source of that layer - the urls are in the Metadata contact organization and More information fields.  For layers that have been sourced from an online portal (such as SNH's Natural Spaces) these urls will take you to that portal.

The Atlas spatial layer metadata forms are accessible through the Add to Map > Layers dialogue box in the spatial portal - just press the i button on the right hand edge of the entry for each layer.

Christine
Christine Johnston
NBN Scottish Liaison Officer