1 (edited by DGERC 25-10-2017 10:12:34)

Topic: Skylark in R6 Organism view

Under the genus Alauda, Skylark appears twice as two separate species, with repeated separate entries for the two sub-species underneath each one. Looks a bit odd...

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

Re: Skylark in R6 Organism view

Ok, I've noticed this happens with a number of other bird species too. Any idea what's causing this?

MARK

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

Looks okay in ours?

Post's attachments

Capture.JPG 59.72 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Thanks Charlie

I'm therefore thinking user-added common names from over a decade ago when a dictionary update changed all the bird common names to the 'international' version (done to help data inputters). Will check that out...

MARK

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

OK... so when I try 'Dictionaries|Edit taxon details' I see two versions of the Birds BOU list, but only one when I view it through the normal dictionary window. Anyone else see two?

Probably one for Mike...

Post's attachments

edit_taxon_details.jpg 84.14 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

6 (edited by charliebarnes 25-10-2017 11:53:48)

DGERC wrote:

OK... so when I try 'Dictionaries|Edit taxon details' I see two versions of the Birds BOU list, but only one when I view it through the normal dictionary window. Anyone else see two?

Yes! Never noticed it before.

Worth adding this appears to be a separate issue - I'm getting multiples of many other lists (8-9 in the case of diptera). Our dict version is 3X.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

7 (edited by charliebarnes 25-10-2017 12:13:34)

DGERC wrote:

I'm therefore thinking user-added common names from over a decade ago when a dictionary update changed all the bird common names to the 'international' version (done to help data inputters). Will check that out...

You've hit the nail on the head there - we've had problems with records being duplicated in our reports when this is done - and I've just tried it with 'Skylark' and the ORGANISM list does duplicate it (presumably an additional entry for each user added name) in the hierarchy.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Yes I have multiples offerings of several checklists too when I look down the drop-down list on the edit taxon details box.

And removing the user-added common names sorts the issues in the organism tree. Thought these had been removed previously but there must be still some left in there.

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

Out of interest for anyone following this thread the addition of alternative user-added names does not cause a problem in the display of the taxon dictionary that you are editing, only in the Organism view. So adding the alternative English name 'unidentified newt' to the family Salamandridae would display fine in the Amphibia dictionary but creates tree duplicates (see attachment) in the Organism view. Maybe the way the view is generated can be tweaked to accommodate (or just exclude) user added names.

Post's attachments

capture2.jpg 135.28 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)