Topic: Acutodesmus dimorphus (Turpin) Tsarenko, 2001

Sorry another alga  with an identity crisis.

Acutodesmus dimorphus (Turpin) Tsarenko, 2001
Guiry, M.D. & Guiry, G.M. (2017). AlgaeBase. World-wide electronic publication, National University of Ireland, Galway.
The Atlas is currently listing the synonym Scenedesmus dimorphus (Turpin) Kützing, 1833 (accepted name Acutodesmus obliquus).

Christine

Re: Acutodesmus dimorphus (Turpin) Tsarenko, 2001

Hi Christine - sorry, I'm confused again by conflicting information. In the UKSI I have "Scenedesmus dimorphus" as a junior synonym of "Acutodesmus obliquus", which seems correct - at least using WoRMS, which the MSBIAS list is based upon. How do you want me to treat "Acutodesmus dimorphus (Turpin) Tsarenko, 2001"? Is this another junior synonym or a distinct species? Algaebase seems to suggest that "Acutodesmus dimorphus" is a junior synonym anyway (of "Tetradesmus dimorphus (Turpin) M.J.Wynne").

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)

Hi Chris,
I'm really out of my taxonomic comfort zone with algae, so I will seek advice and try to get clarification.

Thank you.

Christine

I have at last managed to sort out my confusion with this species.

We use the 2nd edition of The Freshwater Algal Flora of the British Isles (2011) but there have been nomenclature changes and according to AlgaeVision I should be checking the names against those in AlgaeBase which" is the most authoritative and up-to–date source of information on currently accepted names".

According to AlgaeVision (http://algaevision.myspecies.info/node/3505):
Acutodesmus dimorphus Turpin now a taxonomic synonym of Tetradesmus dimorphus (Turpin) M.J. Wynne.
This is the nomenclature currently used by Algaebase, so please can you add Tetradesmus dimorphus to the list.

So I hope that it will now be simpler for me to cause less confusion when asking for revisions to the list for algae.

Christine