1 (edited by chloe.barnes 07-06-2017 11:43:46)

Topic: Larus ridibundus & Larus ichthyaetus

Hello,

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this question, but someone brought to my attention that while trying to enter records for Black-headed Gull (Larus ridibundus), the latin name was coming up as Larus ichthyaetus (Pallas's Gull/Great Black-headed Gull).

I've found that in the Ulster Museum and Marine Conservation Society Marine Dictionary, the common name Black-headed Gull appears to have the latin name Larus ichthyaetus wrongly paired with it (screenshot attached).

I was wondering if there was any way to change/correct this? Do let me know if there's any further details you'd need first.

Thanks very much in advance,

Chloe

Post's attachments

R6 Error - Pallas' & Black-headed Gulls.jpg 66.01 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Larus ridibundus & Larus ichthyaetus

Hi Chloe

I think the Ulster list has been completely superseded by the MSBIAS checklist. But was the situation with Black-headed Gull a mistake in the Ulster list or just a reflection of the taxonomy at the time?

Best wishes,
Chris R.

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)

Hi Chris,

Thanks very much for looking into this for me - I hadn't realised that the Ulster list had been superseded.

Kind regards,

Chloe

I'm pretty sure this is a mistake - is it showing in your copy Chris, or is this a potential Recorder 6 problem (one for Mike?) ?

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Hi everyone - yes I agree in this instance it does look like a mistake. Strange that it wasn't spotted before (hence my initial skepticism) but I have corrected it now :)

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)