1 (edited by stevemcbill 01-06-2017 13:55:53)

Topic: Use of Subgenera on Species Names

Hi Chris,

I am sure this has been brought up before but I doubt I am up to date with UKSI standards in this area.  Many species, particularly invertebrates, have names on the UKSI, and hence in the Recorder/Webservices species dictionaries, with Subgeneric names included.  I have in the past found that these make it difficult when searching for particular species as the search algorithm does not take account of the fact that most naturalists merely use the binomial names (without the added Subgenera) and expect the input name to be searched for to exactly match the name on the dictionary (i.e. WITH the Subgeneric name).

This issue has recently been mentioned on the "beetles-britishisles" Yahoo group and Malcolm Storey has posted the following which I totally agree with:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Malcolm Storey' malcolm.storey@dsl.pipex.com [beetles-britishisles] <beetles-britishisles@yahoogroups.com>
        Today at 14:02

To:   beetles-britishisles@yahoogroups.com

Hi Andrew,

Subgenera can be irritating, but of course their use is (or rather should be) entirely optional.

To make them optional, the picking lists in recording packages need to have the straight binominal included as a synonym. Most packages and databases nowadays use the UKSI taxon dictionary managed by Chris Raper at the Natural History Museum (I think MapMate and Living Record are the exceptions and MapMate at least is moving in the right direction). So make sure these synonyms are always included when you submit the spreadsheet version of your checklist to Chris.

Malcolm
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you possibly let me/us know if this is actually currently done within the UKSI and if not then possibly why not ??

Many thanks.
Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

Re: Use of Subgenera on Species Names

A reply from Andrew Duff:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew Duff  [beetles-britishisles] <beetles-britishisles@yahoogroups.com>
        Today at 18:10

To:   beetles-britishisles@yahoogroups.com

Hi Malcolm,

There is no spreadsheet version of the checklist, at least not one generated by me. The checklist is maintained as a Microsoft Word document.

But the synonymy should be the other way around. Because subgenera are, and always have been optional, the UKSI taxon dictionary should have used the straight binominal as the default name for a taxon, with any version containing a subgenus name retained as a synonym. As I said earlier, I can't for the life of me see why this should ever have been a problem.

Best wishes,
Andrew
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

Hi Steve

Yes, Malcolm is a good friend and he passed the messages on to me. I couldn't post into the group but I have replied that I'm very happy to be led by the recorders and I'd be happy to revert to names without subgenera is Andrew standardises on that in future. I'm also working with Mark Gurney to update the Coleoptera in the UKSI but perhaps not the checklist itself ... yet.

Hope that helps :)
Chris R.

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)

Cheers Chris and thank you.

Personally I have found the addition of the sugeneric names to be a bit a nuisance when searching for species.  However, I can also see the usefulness of having them for some people.  Could they be sunk to synonyms in the UKSI so that they can still be available to those who require/want them ??

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

Yes, that's what I'll do - we won't edit the names, just add ordinary binomials. Subgenera are very good for taxonomists because it groups related taxa but for biological recording it gets messy :)

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)