Re: Synonomy query

I have run a query from a rucksack which included marsh violet Viola palustris and received results including spotted rock rose Tuberaria guttata. This would appear to be because of a synonomy between V. palustris ssp. juressi and T. guttata ssp. breweri in the Recorder 3.3 and other dictionaries. Although not an expert, this strikes me as unlikely to be correct (different families, different habitats & different appearances). Can anyone confirm whether this is really an error?

(Apologies if this has already been noted and corrected - currently running 6.10.4.120 without the latest dictionary updates)

Gordon

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust

Dear Gordon,

I see what you mean. In Recorder 6, selecting Viola palustris subsp. juressi from the Recorder 3.3 list gives various Helianthemum and Tuberaria guttatum/a combinations as synonyms. Also searching on the NBN Gateway for Viola palustris brings up the guttatum link.

I have examined the master copy of the Species Dictionary and can say that none of the lists (or our Nameserver) show Viola palustris subsp. juressi as a synonym of a guttata/guttatum/guttatus, or vice versa.

The problem seems to lie within a table specific to Recorder called INDEX_TAXON_NAME where the RECOMMENDED_TAXON_LIST_ITEM_KEY for Viola palustris subsp. juressi is given as NHMSYS0000454310 - which points to Tuberaria guttata (L.) Fourr. - so over to Sarah and Steve at JNCC to determine how this came about.

Regards,

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

OK - well this is an easy one - in fact you more or less answered it yourself Gordon. Upgrade to the most recent dictionary. As a general note - each upgrade we post generally contains new lists but will always contain improvements to the synonymy. I have checked and this one definitely looks to be fixed.
Steve