Topic: Import onto layer

We have been having problems trying to update our reserve boundaries in Recorder. I deleted the polygon layer for one area and created a new layer. The import onto layer process appeared to be working, matching SITE_NAME to Location Name ok. I even left it running over the weekend but nothing appeared to have happened.

Subsequent attempts to import onto a layer produce the error message - An essential sheet cannot be found in the current map set.
Some years ago, we lost all our map layers and had to reinstall from scratch. Since then there have been a few layers added, but nothing in the past 2 years. At some point since then the Registry entries for the Map Files seem to have gotten out of sync - machines updated, Recorder transferred/reinstalled?.

We have 2 workstations and a separate server. On inspecting the Registry entries for these, my workstation points to B:\Map Files\ as the Map File Path while the other workstation points to C:\ProgramData\Recorder 6\Map Files\.This folder only contains 3 files. On my workstation there is no C:\ProgramData\Recorder 6\Map Files folder.

If I create a C:\ProgramData\Recorder 6\Map Files folder on my workstation and copy the Map Files from the server to it and also to the other workstation and edit the Registry on my workstation to point to C:\ProgramData\Recorder 6\Map Files\ would this solve the problem?

Charlie Darling
Biodiversity Data Assistant
Scottish Wildlife Trust

Re: Import onto layer

Hi
Just at the moment I do not have very good internet access. I will reply in full as soon as I can. Above all do not reset the maps on either a partial or full reset. It is shared Object Sheet folder which holds the polygon layers. The map sheet folder just hold the background maps. Secure the files in the object sheet folders as per the registry for all the workstations involved.   It should be possible to recover as long as these files exist. Recorder gets very confused if the workstations do not all point to the same object sheet file path. With v6.27 which is available as a release candidate  (see R6 annnoucements) is a document which explains how mapping works. V6.27 aims to resolve mapping issues and provides a way of backing up map data. Installing 6.27 will not resolve an existing problem but the documentation may help. Please do not change any registry entries until I advise.

Mike Weideli

Mike,

You didn't get back to me on this.

Charlie

Hi

I am most sorry for the delay on this. Have you checked that the object sheet file path in the registry is the same on all workstations? Do there appear to be files in the folder where the registry entry points.

Mike Weideli

Mike,

Both of the workstations have the same Object Sheet File Path in the registry - \\swtgen\Recorder 6 Server\Object Sheet\ - this is on a separate server machine. There are 272 files in the Object Sheet folder.

Charlie

Hi

Are you in a position to install 6.27 ?  It is only available at a release candidate, but no one has reported any problems so  far.  This will allow you to back up all the map files and the R6 table entries.  You should  then be able to reset the maps and restore the data. If it turns out that this doesn't work I may be able to recover the information from the backup files.  This should be possible unless a map rest (partial or full) has been done.  Either of these processes can potentially delete map files or database entries.   

Early next week I am hoping to do double check that the 6.27 mapping backup/recover process works as expected on a live server system, so if you have any concerns you could wait until this is complete.

Mike Weideli

Mike,

I think I'll wait until you have done that as I am in the middle of checking a large number of records in Recorder and would like to finish this before doing anything.

Charlie

Hi

I will get back in touch later next week. Remind me if you don't hear anything by the time you are ready.

Mike Weideli

Hi

I  have completed further testing of the Map System backup on a live Networked version of R6 and did discover a  problems, so the new version of he release candidate (6.27.0.1  is available  see 
https://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php … 114#p27114

1. Download and install 6.27.0.1. (Rebuild indexes)
2. Goto Map/Map Option and the  new Admin tab. Make sure the Action 'Backup Map data' is selected  and then click on 'Go'
3. I suggest you make sure that you have separate backup of the Object Sheet Folders on your server and also a database backup. The fact that you had a problem in the first place may be because at some point the location of the Object Sheet Folder on your system changed.
4. On one of the workstations open Map/Map Options and choose reset then 'All'.
5. Goto Map/Map Option and the  new Admin tab. Select Action 'Restore Map data' and then click on 'Go'
6. Check to see if your mapping is now Ok on the workstation. If all is Ok then go to the other workstation and slect Map/Map Options and choose reset then 'Yes'.  If the recovery doesn't work then  then let me know and I will see what i can do to recover the data for you. What can be done will depend on  what files are available and it may not be possible if any were deleted prior to the backups.

Mike Weideli