26 (edited by Janet Simkin 24-02-2008 11:58:38)

Re: Recorder on Windows Vista?

A couple of weeks ago I moved the backup location and all the user file locations that could be changed to folders under c:\Recorder6, directly on the c: drive rather than in program files or in documents. Since then I have been using the system intensively and backup, restore, rucksacks, recording cards and reports all seem to be working fine under Vista. Thanks to Mike Wideili for his good advice!

There is no option to change the location of the import templates or xml reports, but that doesn't seem to cause a problem.

Janet

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

27 (edited by Stuart 01-04-2008 11:08:42)

Re: Recorder on Windows Vista?

I have done a couple of standalone installations of Recorder 6 (v 6.10.4) on Vista now and find it works very well on Vista using SQL Express SP2 - once I can get it up and running!

A few of things I would add to MikeW's excellent posting in this thread:

1. I find that you need to give the main user of the machine who is going to be running Recorder "Modify" permission for the \Recorder folder and its subfolders. I would do this after the first stage of the installation and before you do the restart and run DBPlugin.

- Open Windows Explorer (right click on the Start button select Explore)
- Navigate to the \Recorder directory
- right-click on this directory and select Properties
- Open the Security tab
- Select the user from the "Group or user names" list
- If the Modify Permission is not ticked, click the [Edit] button (just above the Permissions list on the right)
- In the "Permissions for Recorder 6" dialog, you again need to select the user's name in the list and then you can tick the Allow - Modify box and then click [OK]

2. The FIRST TIME you run Recorder 6 after completing the installation, you need to "Run as administrator" (right click the Recorder icon on the desktop and select "Run as administrator"). After that,  you can start it by double clicking the Recorder icon as usual.

3. I had problems getting backups to work, which I think was a problem with permissions on the directory where it is located by default. Recorder gave me an exception when I tried to do a backup, or to change the backup location. The way I fixed this was to first create a \Recorder 6\Backup directory - which is where I wanted backups to go - and then to use SQL Sever Management Studio to delete the "NBNData_Backup" object and then re-created it pointing to this directory (there doesn't seem to be a way to edit the directory via SQL Sever Management Studio). Once I had done this, backup worked fine and I could use the facilities in Recorder to change the backup location if I wanted to move it again.

4. I find you need start Recorder with "run as administrator" to install Addins, but not to do ordinary tasks like importing data