Topic: Reporting the highest count for a species within a survey

Hi there,

Is there an existing report/process (I can't seem to find one but may be missing it) that allows you to report the highest occurrence/count of a particular species ever reported within a survey? E.g. the highest count of Bitterns recorded at one time in a particular survey.

Thanks very much,

Chloe

Re: Reporting the highest count for a species within a survey

I don't think anyone has ever asked for this before.  In the simplest form it is a one line query which could go in an XML report.

Is all you want to be able to specify a species and a survey and get back the maximum count for that species within the survey ? I assume you have used simple numeric abundances and nor ranges or ACFOR/DAFOR scales. Once I am sure of the requirement I will do the report for you.

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike,

That sounds exactly like what we need thank you. As you say, would just need to specify the species and get back the maximum count within that survey.

I've currently been asked for this in regards to bird data, so yes simple numeric abundances as we haven't recorded these with ACFOR/DAFOR. I've checked our term list and records may be under different qualifiers (e.g. Abundant, Present, None etc.) but the measurement units would be only Count or None.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help,

Chloe

The attached report is designed to do what you require. Give it a try and let me know if it needs adapting. Run from the main Report menu it just works on all Surveys. To run it for a Survey, right click on the Survey and choose quick report. It is in system supplied reports/Statistics (St 12).  It returns the survey name, The recommended name of the taxon and the maximum count of Abundance.

Post's attachments

JNCC_St12_Max_Abundance.xml 3.18 kb, 3 downloads since 2017-03-31 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Mike Weideli

Hi Mike,

Thanks very much for putting this together - I'll do a trial run and let you know how it works out.

Chloe