Topic: Dictionary Upgrade 0000003F to 0000003N

Dictionary Upgrade 0000003F to 0000003N  is now available at http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/page-4615 . Please note that it can only be applied to Recorder v 6.25 or above. Applying it to other version will corrupt table Index_Taxon_Name.

The main purpose of the upgrade is to resolve problems with the taxonomic sort order, but a few new taxa are included. Taxonomic sort order is based on the structure held in the Organism table. This structure also control reporting down the taxonomic hierrachy, for example when using  'Expand taxonomic groups' in the Report Wizard.  The opportunity have been taken to fix some anomalies in the structure which were causing problems when expanding some groups (eg. Tracheophyta).

Problems with sort order and expanding taxonomic group  should be reported under  R6 Dictionary issues - please start a new topic and do not use this one.   They may be problems within the NHM Dictionary or relate to the way R6 uses the data. Either way we will do our best to resolve any issues  as quickly as possible.

Mike Weideli

Re: Dictionary Upgrade 0000003F to 0000003N

Thanks Mike - rebuilding the indices is taking a while (~an hour and half so far) - is this expected? I can't remember which it's on... but the 3rd or 4th in the list I think.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

I wouldn't expect it should take any longer than normal. I have run it here several times and it takes about the normal time of  10 minutes or so to rebuild Index_taxon_Name, and a few minutes for the others. I suggest you stop it and try again. If you can note which upgrade it is on and what it is doing this will help.

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike

Appears to be hanging on rebuilding the Taxon_Designation_Index - the other 3 went through fine.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Thanks. That is the simple one. I will see if there is anyway it can get in a loop.

Mike Weideli

There are no loops in it, just two queries. I suggest you stop it and try again. It will not affect anything else.

Mike Weideli

Thanks Mike - still hanging. Does running the SQL in [dbo].[usp_Index_Taxon_Designation_Rebuild] do the same as using the interface or is there more going on?

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Nothing more too it. The rebuild just runs the one procedure. It hasn't changed and I don't think the upgrade included any changes to designations.

I notice the procedure  deletes the contents of the table instead of truncating it which would be quicker and not write to the log file. However it has always done this so not sure why it should  cause a problem now.

Mike Weideli

The stored procedure itself was hanging (the actual SQL run in about 30 seconds) - updating database stats with EXEC sp_updatestats
appears to have done the trick.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer