Topic: Problem with NBN Exchange Add-in

I recently installed R6 on a new stand-alone laptop running W10.

This morning I tried for the first time to export a survey as NBN Exchange format and had to load the add-in http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/files/Rec6_NBN … e2012.zip.

The add-in appeared to install, but then a message appeared to say that the install had failed.  See attached.

The .txt file referred to there is not present in the specified folder, but NBNExchange.ocx is there.

When I click OK on that message, I get the 'Unhandled error' message, and whatever option I choose from there I can't open R6 at all without the failed install warning message appearing as soon as I log in.  I can't use R6 at all.

Any advice gratefully received.

Murdo

Post's attachments

Error.jpg 41.92 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Problem with NBN Exchange Add-in

Just to add some more (I hope useful) information, I can still get to the data tables via the linked MS Access db and SQL Management Studio.

However, my usual route to back up the database, using SQL MS, fails with the error:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
------------------------------

Backup failed for Server 'LAPTOP-GK0DIGLL\SQLEXPRESS'.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.SmoExtended)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName … nkId=20476

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: Cannot open backup device 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Recorder 6\BACKUPS\NBNData.bak'. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.). (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName … nkId=20476

I don't need to backup (fortunately), but I was just investigating the R6 failure a bit further.

M.

You will probably need to remove the addin from the registry.  HKey_Local_Machine/Software/Dorset Software/Recorder 6/ Installed Addins. Delete the NBN Exchange Addin. Also delete the OCX file. I will check out a few things and come back to you regarding installing the addin.

Mike Weideli

The version of the addin you have loaded will attempt to update the database, so it needs you to log into the database, which has caused problems.  As long as you are on R6 Version 6.22 or above you should  not be using this version of the addin, but either NBN Exchange Addin 6.22 (for R6 version 6.22 only) or NBN Exchange Addin 6.23 (Version 6.23 and above). Both of these are available on the JNCC Web Site , below the 6.17. version.

Supporting the 6.17 version is now difficult, but if necessary I can provide some assistance.

I will look into the backup issue.

Mike Weideli

I am not sure the backup issue is related to the addin problem, but to a Windows 10 upgrade.  I can no longer backup on Windows 10 and it was working a day or two ago.

To get my backup working again I had to delete the backup device and set it up again. Instruction for doing this are at http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?pid=23613#p23613

Mike Weideli

Thanks, Mike.  I should have read further down the list of add-ins, but just went for the first one, which has no restrictions listed.  Are you able to suggest to JNCC that things could be made clearer?

I will have a go at your remedy (I am on the latest R6) with add-in 6.23 and let you know the result.

Is the backup facility within R6 working OK? I have never used that, but if SQL MS will not do it I might have to start.

M.

An immediate problem, Mike.  In regedit, HKey_Local_Machine/Software contains no reference to Dorset Software, and I can't find it anywhere in the tree.

M.

Sorry. On a 64 bit machine it is HKey Local Machine/Software/WOW6432Node/ Dorset Software etc. I don't think there is any reason not to use the Recorder backup. If it isn't working then the instructions in FAQ should sort the problem.

Mike Weideli

That all seems OK now, Mike.  Thanks for your help.

M.