Re: BAP Invertebrate species statuses

The following message has been circulated amongst Invertebrate interest groups:

Dear Colleagues,

We have this week submitted our final list of invertebrate species to the BAP Priority Review Group.  The spreadsheet detailing the list submitted is attached for information.  The list will be formally published, I'm not entirely sure when, but after further work has been done to identify what sort of conservation action is needed and how such action/s might be grouped.  This represents a shift in emphasis in the way BAP work will be delivered this time around; a move towards better integration of conservation action across taxa and across habitats.

The invert BAP working group has started to do some work, using the information provided on the pro formae, plus any additional info. we know about, to draw out key needs/messages.  The sort of things we are looking at are a combination of 'things' e.g. is the species widespread or only known from one or a few sites?  Are particular habitat features common to a number of taxa?  Are there groups of species affected by climate change? invasive species? pollutants etc.  On this last point, we are keen to develop more inclusive plans that deal with some of the big issues; like climate change, and put in examples of species we know will a) be affected and b) will act as indicators.

At some stage we will need to consult more widely on the work we (the Invert BAP WG) have done and hope to be able, once again, to draw on the considerable knowledge and experience of the invertebrate conservation community to get the BAP process working even better than before to deliver conservation gain.

Thank you again for your great help in making this process possible.

All best wishes,

Deborah Procter (JNCC) & Nigel Bourn (Butterfly Conservation)

Co-chairs of the Invertebrate BAP Working Group

Whilst some interest groups may be content with the content, many Lepidopterists in particular are rather cross about the inclusion of commonplace species, particularly since their presence will affect Planning issues. Some Lepidopterists report up to 25 BAP species in their gardens - hard luck if they want to build a shed (and another good reason for not sending records to their Local Records Centre).
The hot debate continues.

My question to JNCC is:
Are these BAP statuses now published in the Taxon Dictionaries?

Local Records Centres need them urgently in order to fulfil a host of legal obligations:
PPS9,
Local Development Framework,
Habitat Regulations,
CRoW Act,
"Biodiversity and Geological Conservation – Statutory Obligations and their impact within the Planning System"

The file is available in the uploads section

Although the invertebrate BAP list has been circulated for information, unfortunately this will not be incorporated into the taxon dictionaries until the complete BAP process is formally published some time next year.

Kind regards,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

I think that "some time next year has arrived": 

1. Our Dipterists Forum BAP co-ordinator (Barbara Ismay) has completed her work on our behalf,
2. The BARS website has all the new information at http://www.ukbap-reporting.org.uk/
3. JNCC have a "spreadsheet of conservation designations for UK taxa" available to download at http://www.jncc.gov.uk/page-3409 although there is some doubt as to its currency
4. We have Habitat Action Plan Targets and Species Action Plan Targets available for download as Excel  spreadsheets at http://www.ukbap.org.uk/BAPGroupPage.aspx?id=98 which refer to them as the "revised targets" (you'll find all the failed species listed here too)
5. The Species and Habitat Review Report 2007 may also be downloaded as either pdfs or Word documents at http://www.ukbap.org.uk/BAPGroupPage.aspx?id=112

All very nice and interactive but what we Recorder users need is:

1. Some quick means of getting a Rucksack out of the new species lists (none of which are supplied with taxon identifier keys (these lists come from JNCC who look after the Recorder project))
2. Those new statuses in the taxon dictionary

Darwyn,

We are currently working with JNCC to set up mechanisms for keeping designatory/legislative lists up to date within Recorder.

The latest BAP list will hopefully be included within the next update (providing that I can free up some time). We are also looking at gap-filling any recently published red lists etc and including JNCC's broader conservation designations dataset. The work is ongoing and the intention is to include all relevant data within Recorder, as advised by JNCC.

So whilst we are in the process of working on this, there is a backlog that will take time to fully resolve.

John

Help! I’ve been trying to turn the taxonversionkey for UKBAP species from JNCC’s latest spreadsheet of taxon_designations (11/10/07) into something I can paste into a rucksack and that will reliably report all our records in R2002. (Or better still put in an Access table and use in a SQL query).

Although I can use TAXON_LIST_ITEM to get a set of taxon codes they don’t all “pass through” the INDEX_TAXON_SYNONYM table.

For example Grizzled Skipper has a taxonversionkey of NHMSYS0000504013 in the spreadsheet. This maps to NHMSYS0000499675 via TAXON_LIST_ITEM.

The actual records use NBNSYS0000078023.

There is no entry in INDEX_TAXON_SYNONYM with NHMSYS0000499675 on one side and NBNSYS0000078023 on the other (but they are both on the synonym side of NHMSYS0000497771). Should there be? I even tried using INDEX_TAXON_SYNONYM from R6, but found the same problem.

(Some species like Lutra lutra pass through the synonym table okay and I can report on).

Am I approaching this the wrong way, or misunderstood something about the tables? Does anyone have a set of taxon codes for the new UKBAP species that will work with all our R2002 records that they could kindly pass my way please? Are they online anywhere?

Thanks for any help,
Keith Balmer