Topic: A new problem - missing dots

https://data.nbn.org.uk/imt/?mode=SPECI … 0020190485 gives the IMT for Cecidophyopsis psilaspis.

Two dots in E Ross, one in Edinburgh.

Ask for all the records in Scotland and you discover that there are records for NH80 and NH56 which are not plotted.

See screenshot.

Is there no end to the problems in G5?  5 months since launch, and this new one turns up - new to me, anyway.

M.

Post's attachments

MapandRecords.jpg 67.35 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: A new problem - missing dots

A deafening silence from the Gateway team on this - not even yet another plea for interminable patience -  which would appear to be a more fundamental error in a site whose central purpose is - you guessed it - mapping records!

The error with C. psilaspis persists today 0820h.  Out of curiosity, I tried another taxon at random, Pleuroceras pseudoplatani, and - well knock me down with a feather! - the records are there and the dots are not (see attachment, where the records for NO11 and NT26 are not plotted).

I am not prepared to believe that I have stumbled at random on the only two examples of faulty mapping, so let's be clear: there is a fundamental software problem preventing the grid (that too, though I have not included the screenshot) and IMT mapping operating correctly, and there is no way that the user can tell there is an error unless they compare the map and the records.

Please sort it, and all the other problems that pervade this mess of a site.

Murdo

Post's attachments

PplatMapRecords.jpg 111.74 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

And a third example - three picked at random in a row, three lots of missing dots.

This time it is Xylaria carpophila.

Is there anything at all about G5 we can actually trust?

M.

Post's attachments

XcarpMapandRecs.jpg 87.57 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Yes, I know this is getting boring, but maybe tedious repetition will stimulate some urgently needed action.

Another example found in the course of routine work - Lasioglossum villosulum in NH55, the record is there, but the dot is not.  (The ID is incorrect as it happens, which is why I was looking for it.)

I am not attaching a screenshot this time - no-one has bothered to look at the previous ones, it would seem.

M.

Fascinating. For what it's worth I've had a look at your screenshots... and can repeat your experience.

Nothing apparently untoward in Lincolnshire. Is this just the HBRG dataset?

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

6 (edited by Syrphus 17-03-2014 09:58:50)

I don't see why it should be, Charlie, and some of the records which were loaded at the same time from +- the same areas are fine.  Nor is it OSGR resolution.  The only reason the HBRG sets are featured is that these are the ones I was checking, and I could instantly see that dots were omitted.

The point is it should not happen at all, so the fact it does (even if only our sets) means there is something seriously amiss, either in the upload (apparently valid records being flagged in some way) or in the mapping.  And until the root cause is identified and sorted the whole system must be regarded as suspect.

Interesting that you have looked at the screenshots - I had assumed that if it said 'never been downloaded' it meant no-one had looked, but that is obviously not the case.

M.

Hello Murdo

Thank you for raising this issue with the NBN Gateway maps. It looks like these records are being mapped at the recorded resolution but not at the lower resolutions. For example, Cecidophyopsis psilaspis record in NH80 is mapped at its 100m resolution but not at the lower resolutions including the 10KM resolution, so that when zoomed out the lower resolution grid square does not appear as it should. The developers are looking into resolving this issue.

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer

Hello Murdo

This issue was due new grid references not automatically matching to their lower resolution grid squares. This has been resolved and the missing lower resolution grid squares should now appear on the maps.

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer

Thanks, Graham.  The C. psilaspis maps are certainly showing complete now.

M.