Re: NBN Exchange Addin

Hello Mike,

I am having problems with installing the addin. Please if i may give some more detail.

The version of recorder is, 6.17.1.250 and is a network installation.

After unzipping the files and copying them into the relevant location, i then launch recorder, select tools, addin modules and finally install. At this point the application crashes with the following error message
"RecorderApp.exe"
An unhandled error has occured in the application. This error message has been copied to the clipboard and also will be saved to the following location after the dialog is closed:
"x:\errors\Error-.txt.

If i click on the link " show bug report " it then gives more information about the operating, system memory, display mode etc. However the last three lines read as follows
"exception number 1"
"exception class" EOleSysError"
"exception message" the class is not configured to support elevated activation.

I have attached a document that has the print screens of the error messages which should make it easier to view.

Please can you assist Mike.

Thankyou.

It appears that the code to elevate the addin installer does not work, which must be something to do with that particular Windows setup. It could be that this is a one off.

We that you try  running Recorder as administrator before installing the addin, or to temporarily turn off User Account Control in Windows before trying again?

Mike Weideli

Thank you Mike for the reply.

Just to clarify a point, i am attempting to install the add in as a logged in administrator and will as suggested turn off User Account Control.

I will post my results in a short while.

Thanks

Hello Mike,

I have logged in as an administrator and turned off User Account Control, however this has made no difference and the error message as detailed in my original post still appears.

Please can you assist.

Do you know if you can install other addins ?. The NBNExhange addin is more complex than most in  that it requires access to the database to install.  Have you attemted to install the test addin at
http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?pid=18537#p18537 ?

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike
Could you tell me if the new NBNExchange addin is working correctly now or if there are any issues with it I should be aware of before using it; and is the most recent version the one dated 19/10/13?

Thanks
Purgle

Purgle Linham
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

The last official one is the one on the JNCC web site (v6.17.0.10.0).  If you can install that without any problems then this is the best  approach. The addin will try to update the database by adding new stored procedures and user defined functions and this is what has caused some installation problems. The test versions I have provided ALL  do exactly the same processing, but they requires the stored procedures and user defined function to be there, which they are by default in the last release candidate version of R6  (Upgrade 6.21.1.)  If you have any trouble then I can provide the latest version of my addin. Note that 6.21.1 appears to be a stable version of R6, but because version 6.22 is nearly ready this will be the next official release.

Mike Weideli

Mike

I have been trying to help Purgle with this, but we are still having problems.

This morning she attempted to install the version off the JNCC website (possibly without first removing the old version, I am not sure) but the installation failed (using Windows authentication) reporting a stack overflow. Subsequently whenever she opens Recorder she gets the message that the NBN exchange addin could not be loaded because of stack overflow. In Recorder Tools>install>addin module the addin is visible but reports that it is v6.17.0.9, not v6.17.0.10 as you suggest.

Then I attempted the addin install on my own machine, first removing the version which was there. when prompted I used the sa login & the install worked fine. However my machine also reports v6.17.0.9. My copy of recorder opens normally and presumably works OK.

Returning to Purgle's machine we removed the offending addin & re-installed. I was surprised to see the login prompt again because once the .sql script has run once there can be no need for it to run a second time, but I guess it can't do any harm. Anyway using using the sa login the install still produced a stack overflow.

We have since removed the offending addin on Purgle's machine, run Ccleaner to check for any stray registry entries and installed again. We still get the stack overflow error.

My machine still apparently works fine, but I have no need to use this addin.

Any ideas?

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

OK I have now found the following post http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=4702

As for Craig, running as administrator fixed the problem, but only if always running as admin. After the addin is installed it is necessary always to run as admin to avoid getting the error. Will check this with our ITC when he is around. Clearly there is a permissions issue somewhere.

Purgle has now emailed you Mike with a related problem, namely that when she uses the addin it is returning a dataset with no dates for the observations.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

The run as Admin problem is a bug in the addin. Not sure about the date problem. I attach the latest vesion of the addin. You will need to completey remove the old one before installing it.  It does need either the database entries from the old addin so don't delete these, or version 6.19 of R6.  It should  fix the install issues and running as admin. Let me know if it doesn't help with the date problem.

I can make the file available elsewhere if you have trouble with the zip file downloaded from the forum.

Post's attachments

NBNExchangeAddinNu.zip 419.93 kb, 12 downloads since 2014-02-25 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Mike Weideli

Thanks that has installed OK now. I will let you know whether we still have the problem with failing to return dates when we have tested it.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

OK that seems to work fine, but the output still has no date in it & is thus invalid for submission to the NBN. This issue is critical for us and we need a solution urgently as we have not sent an NBN update for a long time & cannot comply with the NE MoA.

Since no-one else has reported the same problem, could this be an issue relating to SQL Server 2000 having slightly different syntax?

Do we know if anyone else even uses 2000 these days?

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

I will look at the code and get back to you. May need to run some test. Not many users still on SQl sercer 2000, but we still aim not  do anything in a way which it doesn't support.

Mike Weideli

And I will try to get our ITC to put some time into getting us off 2000 and into the 21st Century.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

Can you please run a simple test to see if this function is returning the correct result [dbo].[nbn_exchange_date_to_string] 

eg.

Select vague_date_start,  [dbo].[nbn_exchange_date_to_string](vague_Date_start)  FROM sample  S

Mike Weideli

Yes Mike that produced a result which looks correct

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

I have been able to duplicate this on a SQl; Server 2000 install. Stuart must have used something in the addin which doesn't work with SQL Server 2000, but it isn't obvious and may be difficult to track down

Mike Weideli

I think I have solved this. Attached is the SQL which will update a stored procedure. This should fix the problem.

Post's attachments

NBN_Exchange_Modified.sql 6.72 kb, 10 downloads since 2014-02-25 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Mike Weideli

Thanks Mike that worked. Phew, that one's been hanging over us for a good while. I'm sure Purgle will be very happy.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

Thanks very much Mike. I am indeed happy now!

Purgle Linham

46 (edited by Darwyn Sumner 26-02-2014 17:54:31)

Doesn't help at all really, this morning I had a nicely working copy, this evening I try the NBN Exchange addin and R6 will not start up at all. All I have is the warning screen telling me that the module could not be found.
Can someone explicitly state how I can recover from this please?

I assume that you installed the version of the addin mentioned in the post at 12:48 yesterday .  To help I  need to know the following

1. What version of R6 are you using
2. What version of SQL server are you using
3. Did you have any version of the NBN Exchange Addin Installed before - if so which one

Mike Weideli

Just chance, a fellow Diptera recording scheme organiser asked me about it yesterday so I downloaded it from http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/page-4597 Discovered this thread afterwards.
1. A recent one, perhaps 2/3 months ago, since I cannot open it I cannot read the version number (but 6.17.2.251 is in the error file - could that be it?)
2 SQL Server 2008 R2
3. No

Last line of bug report reads:

Cannot create file "C:\Program files (x86)\Recorder 6\Addins\AddinLoadFailed.tzt", Access is denied

First thing to do is to run Recorder as Admin. Right click on the icon and choose run as administrator. Normally this will open Recorder. You can then uninstall the addin through the normal method. If you then want to use it the new version  attached to the  post at 12:48 yesterday should  work and you can install that. No need to worry about the SQL in the later post as this fixed a problem confined to SQL Server 2000 systems

Mike Weideli

Got it thanks Mike.
Opened as admin, removed old one, added the new one (NBNExchangeAddinNu.dll) and the NBN_Exchange_Modified.sql and reinstalled the addin. Can't answer for its functioning as I'm scared to try it now and, unlike LRCs, NBNG uploads are an infrequent job for an NSS.