Topic: Can't install NBNExchange.ocx

Hello,

I am trying to install the NBNExchange.ocx add-in.  When I try to install it, Recorder says it is already installed (although it does not appear on the list of add-ins and the option for ‘NBN Exchange Format’ does not appear on the dropdown list when exporting data).
If I try to install anyway I get the following error messages:

‘The addin could not be installed for the following reason: Sysytem Error.  Code:32.  The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process’

Then:

‘The following file was not installed: NBNExchange.  The object you tried to install did not contain any valid Recorder 6 addins.’

I am using version 6.16.2.241

Can anyone help?
Many thanks,
Christine

Re: Can't install NBNExchange.ocx

First thing to try if you can is to specifically run Recorder as administrator and then install the Addin. Right click on Recorder and choose run as adminstrator. This addin is giving a lot of problems. see http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?pid=17944#p17944  .

Mike Weideli

3 (edited by mbeard 24-09-2013 16:04:04)

Hi Christine,

This sounds similar, but slightly different, to a problem that the NTS had before.  http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=4383

The addin would install and work on the application/database server but not on the Citrix server.  The work around was to run the addin by remote desktop on the application/database server, but I seem to recall that you have not been given that privilege?

I'm guessing that you are trying to install it onto your own client computer now?

Mike Beard
Natural Course Project Officer
Greater Manchester Local Records Centre

Hello Mike and Mike,

Thanks for your responses.  I am just waiting for IT to help me with this as I don't have the permissions necessary.  I am out at a meeting all day today, but will hopefully be able to test runnig it as an administrator and directly from the database server tomorrow.  I will keep you posted.

Kind regards,
Christine

Hi Mike,

IT have now had a look at this and it appears that the NBNExchange add-in is installed on the database server and can be seen on the list of add-ins when IT log in directly.  However, when using my desktop shortcut to the server (or our Citrix server), the NBNExchange add-in does not appear on the list.

IT have tried to re-install the add-in on both my computer and the citrix server, but both times Recorder says that the add-in already exists.  IT therefore don't think that it is a permissions problem.

Do you have any ideas why this might be?

Many thanks,
Christine

Will other addins install Ok ?. One of the problems with this addin is that it updates the database when it installs. The other is that it tries to write the log file to the addins folder, which needs admin rights to access. It will help to know if the problem is confined to this addin. Some users have problems with installing any addins. We now have the code for the addin, but can't promise a quick fix.

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike,

I have had this message from IT today:

'I have just installed the ‘CIS Exporter’ add-in on our Citrix server and this add-in now displays under ‘add-ins configuration’ list when connected via this server.

However, when I log into the system/admin server this new add-in does not appear in the list.

So this proves other add-ins do work when installed from the Citrix server.'

Does this help with the diagnosis?

Thanks for your help,
Christine

Thanks. I am working on this at the moment and will keep users informed of progress.

Mike Weideli

Please see topic 

http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=4836

Mike Weideli