Re: Quick list of species from taxonomic hierarchy

I would like to create a lookup list of species to assist data entry outside of Recorder 6. Is there a way of extracting a list of all species names from a given point in the hierarchy of a taxon list i.e. a quick way of generating a simple 'checklist'? I was thinking of something that pulled out Preferred taxon name, authority and common name (where available), but only exporting the 'species' level and not genus, order, sub-species etc and could be exported as a csv or excel.

My guess is it would need to be done through an xml report, and would be great if it could be accessed as a quick report by right-clicking in the hierarchy but its beyond my capabilities. Has anyone used or developed anything similar?

MARK

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

Mark

I have uploaded an XML reports which attempts to do what you ask. It will only run as a quick report on the taxon_dictionary and will give you just the species below the selected taxa. 

http://forums.nbn.org.uk/uploads.php?file=DERC_%20Species_Extract.xml

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike - as helpful as ever!

Thanks so much for this - it works perfectly! (If anyone else wishes to use this worth noting to remove the '%20' from the saved file name otherwise it may not parse correctly.)

MARK

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

I have rather belatedly discovered Mike's XML report for DERC.

It seems to me that, by the simple addition of ITN.TAXON_LIST_ITEM_KEY to the SELECT statement, you can get a list of TLI_Keys that can be pasted into a rucksack, thereby avoiding (in many cases) the necessity for the kind of Access queries described in the document "Building Rucksacks Outside Recorder"

Richard

Where does Mike's xml report, or something similar, reside now?

I'd like to be able to create a lookup of lepidoptera containing species name and common name, for records capture to make it quicker to import accurately.

Derek

Most of the old downloads are now in the  Uploaded file section of the forum. This one is there attached to topic 3999

http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=3999

Mike Weideli