Re: Problem With Recorder 6 Standalone Installation

I'm not sure if I have a problem or not but it certainly doesn't feel like normal behaviour

I'm installing Recorder 6 as a new Standalone Installation (Version 6.6.8). Everything runs smoothly until I get to the Recorder Database Setup section, specifically the window headed Creating Access Link File.

At this point I get a windo pop up telling me that "A critical error has occured in the Recorder Database Migration application" with a link to further information which gives the the following error log

Exception occurred in application Recorder Database Migration at 08/06/2006 14:31:30.
Version : 6.6.8.58

Exception path:
EOleException : Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed

Operating System : Windows XP  5.01.2600  Service Pack 2
Physical Memory available : 523,808 KB

DLLs loaded:
  adortl70.bpl (7.0.8.1)
  bdertl70.bpl (7.0.4.453)
  dbrtl70.bpl (7.0.8.1)
  kernel32.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  ole32.dll (5.1.2600.2726)
  rtl70.bpl (7.0.8.1)
  user32.dll (5.1.2600.2622)
  vcl70.bpl (7.0.8.1)
  vclx70.bpl (7.0.4.453)
  version.dll (5.1.2600.2180)

Information has been saved to the file C:\DOCUME~1\Alistair\LOCALS~1\Temp\LastError.txt

Clearing the window leaves the original Recorder Database Migration box but nothing else seems to happen (left for an hour). If I close this window I get the message that continuing may leave recorder in an inconsistant state!

Recorder seems to open and run without problems but I do get the occasional error message on shutting down but this tells me absolutly nothing other than an error occured with Recorder.exe

I've tried uninstalling but on clicking on the remove icon in Control Panel the remove software window trys (?) to open but in practice flashes on an off about once every tenth of a second.

I've tried reinstalling with no success and I've even tried installing recorder 2002 to see if this might help but that was a long shot.

As I say, Recorder seems to work but I'm unhappy with the way the installation process finished. Do I have a problem

Alistair

Surrey Biological Records Centre (but on this occasion setting up Recorder 6 at home for personal and professional use)

Alistair, from the error you posted, it looks like the installer is having trouble creating the Access database that gets linked into the SQL Server. The bit about "a provider cannot be found" would indicate a missing OLEDB or ODBC driver (I'm not sure which). Why it's missing, I don't know, as I would have thought it would get installed prior to creation of the linked Access db. I really don't know much more about what is going on at this stage of the installer, so can't be of much more assistance I'm afraid.

Hopefully someone from Dorset will be along with a helpful suggestion soon. :)

Charles

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

Indeed, the required ODBC and OLEDB drivers are installed when Recorder is installed prior to this.  So I'm not sure why this error should occur, but maybe there was some undetected failure in the installation routine for the MDAC libraries.

The good news is that at this stage the only thing left to do is create the linked access database file, and this file is not used by any core Recorder code.  It might affect one or two old addins which still depend on the Access database to get to the data though.  As I've heard one or 2 reports of errors in this area I will be adding better error handling to this area to see if it will provide more information as to what might have gone wrong.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

John (and Charles)

Thanks for that. So the subtext of your reply is that I shouldn't worry too much at this stage?

Alistair
Biological Records Centre Manager
Surrey Biological Records Centre

If Recorder is working then I wouldn't worry too much - the worst case is you would have to backup your database and restore it onto a new installation if things go wrong.  As I said, by the point in time you got the error all the installation that affects the core Recorder application has already been completed.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Thanks John

Alistair