Re: Recorder 6.18.1 - Release Candidate

Hi Mike, no attachment that I can see, could you try again please. Many thanks.

Les Evans-Hill
Senior Data Officer, National Moth Recording Scheme

Hi

I have been busy with other things for about a year and not used R6 in that time. Our book should be published later in the year. Now, it is back to business and needing to use R6 in earnest as I need to produce a bird report for 2011 and 2012. I have read the posts about the upgrade to v6.18 and see that it contains a feature I very much wish to use - the export to Excel 2010. I have downloaded the upgrade file and all the dictionary upgrades I need. I am currently running R6 v6.15.4.238 with Dictionary 0000000J.

From my reading of the instructions I need to do the Dictionary upgrades first and from the Dictionary Upgrade Kit 4 double-clicked on DictionaryUpgrade.exe and had the login screen. I tried to use what I think I have always used before - Username 'sa' and a blank password and I get nowhere. I get a message:

'The connection settings you have provided could not connect to the database server. The error message reported was: Login failed for user 'sa'.

Can anyone please help me to get past this hurdle? My notes do not suggest I have ever changed either the Username or password but don't know how to check.

Thanks in anticipation, Ian

Perhaps you set up an sa password. We suggest a password of  'Recorder6' for anyone who isn't concerned that much about security, so you may have used this. You can try users authentication as this will probably work. You can also use the export to xlsx without doing the dictionary upgrade. Please note that 6.18 was a Release Candidate and a version which fixes the issues found by those trying it will be available shortly.  I would be adviseable for you to wait for the Dictionary upgrade which comes with this, if you can, but you will still need to sort the permssions issue.

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply. I tried Recorder6 as password (and have made a note of this)  and I got a bit further and got a message saying

A different upgrade is required to upgrade your version of Recorder. Please refer to the Recorder website (see below) for details of upgrades available. Note that Recorder must be upgraded to the latest version using the correct upgrade (or series of upgrades run in order) and that Recorder 2002 cannot be upgraded to Recorder 6.

So, I tried the upgrade to v6.18 and it ran successfully. I am now at v6.18.1.259

I then tried the dictionary upgrade again and got the same message. On my reading of the notes I don't have to do any upgrade to a version of R6 between what I had to v6.18. Any ideas why can't upgrade the dictionaries?

All the best, Ian

Look in the scripts folder which is with the Dictionary 4 Upgrade kit. You need all the scripts in there from J up (K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S.R.U.V,W.X.Y,Z,10,11,12,13,14 )  to get you to the point where the Dictionary with the release candidate will work (15 up).  Upgrades are available from http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/page-4615 Remember to only unzip the files once and place the result in the  scripts folder - you should end up with .sql and .zip files in there and no .mdb files. Ignore any instruction on the web site about running the upgrades in groups. You can do everthing from K to 14 in one go. I suggest that 15 up are run separately.

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply. I tried Recorder6 as password (and have made a note of this)  and I got a bit further and got a message saying

A different upgrade is required to upgrade your version of Recorder. Please refer to the Recorder website (see below) for details of upgrades available. Note that Recorder must be upgraded to the latest version using the correct upgrade (or series of upgrades run in order) and that Recorder 2002 cannot be upgraded to Recorder 6.

So, I tried the upgrade to v6.18 and it ran successfully. I am now at v6.18.1.259

I then tried the dictionary upgrade again and got the same message. On my reading of the notes I don't have to do any upgrade to a version of R6 between what I had to v6.18. Any ideas why can't upgrade the dictionaries?

All the best, Ian

The Dictionary and Application ugrades are basically separate, however, dictionary upgrade 00000015 up require R6 version 6.18  or above. Your dictionary is along way behind, so you need to run all the upgrades since J.  Upgrades 15 to 1A are specifically designed to implement the new Organism table. You don't have to run these separately, but it is a large upgrade and takes a long time, so we recommend you upgrade to 14 then do 15 up separately.

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike

I have had another go this morning - I had hoped that a shut down might help. On starting the Dictionary Upgrade kit v4 it will not upgrade anything saying that I need 'a different upgrade etc'. I can't find a version of the Dictionary Upgrade kit v3 on the jnccc.defra site so am a bit stuck. I would like to update the dictionaries. Is an earlier version of the Dictionary upgrade kit available somewhere?

On the R6 front, I was very pleased to be able to download records to Excel 2010. That function will be very useful!

Cheers, Ian

I am reasonably confident that the message is refering to the script files not the version of the upgrade. You must use version 4 of the upgrade, which I think you have downloaded, but you must have all the scripts in the scripts folder,  in sequence from J up. I still suspect this is where the problem is.  Find the scripts folder which is in the same folder as the upgrade and check what is in there. See my post above for what should  be there.

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike

Thanks again! I loaded all the scripts from K to 14, not just the early ones, in the Scripts folder and the upgrade worked a treat. I updated the indices and the first three were very quick but the fourth took about two hours, but finished successfully!

Again, many thanks for your helpful advice!

All the best, Ian

The Index rebuild is the Index_Taxon_Designation, so this shouldn't take very long to run - I wonder if the completion message got hidden behind another window, or if you had some background processing going on .  Let us know if it gives a problem next time you try it.

Mike Weideli